1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

How to sharpen blades????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mortymower, May 5, 2005.

1. Mortymower

Mortymower LawnSite Member

Hi, i have an exmark lazer Z HP 21hp kawasaki, 48. When i first got it it cut perfectly but after about 20 hours it started to leave stragglers. So i picked the fron of the mower of and removed the blades and shapened them, i put them back on and a very small improvement but not much, was noticed. I have a bench and angle grinder and use them for various metal working and i thought i knew how to sharpen but maybe not. also is there anything else that would cause stragglers to be left. Any tips on sharpening????? ;)

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If the blades are good and sharp, then check your belt tensions. Especially check you mule drive belt. These loosen up after they get worn in a bit and have to quickly be re-adjusted. No biggy. Just consult your manual, and/or call Exmark, and they can walk you through.

3. Mortymower

Mortymower LawnSite Member

yea i have my seat disabled becuase i am only like 115 pounds and its annoying and i hopped off the mower with the blades on to grab something, and i noticed that the deck belt was really floppin all over the place and the idler was goin crazy trying to keep tension on it. ;)