Lawn Care Forum banner

How to sharpen blades?

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Guest 
#1 ·
I have sharpened my own blades with a bench belt sander in the past. It does o.k. I would like to get a bench grinder but is there an attachment I could use to make sure I have the correct angle while grinding the blades? That is part of the problem in using the Belt sander. Thanks for all the help.

#2 ·
If you get a good blade sharpener, you can adjust the angles. It makes it a lot easier and it keeps it consistent on both sides, making the blade more balanced and making it easier on your spindles in the long run. A good grinder is made by RBG Grinders. They are in a magazine I always get. YOu can call and get a free catalog by calling 1-800-POWER41

#3 ·
Here is a thread that covered many different aspects and issues associated with blades.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=9886

If you perform a search, and type in sharpening blades, then you will get 74 different threads, on this topic.

The best thing to do is to search first and then if you still have a question because you couldnt find the information you are looking for post a reply in that thread instaed of making new ones.

It makes it that much easier for everyone down the line when we are looking for information.

Hope this helps.
Kris

#6 ·
In my opinion, a bench grinder is about next to worthless for sharpening blades. A dedicated blade grinder is best and if I could never use mine again, I would go back to a hand held grinder and the vise method again.

If you do find something or some way to help with your bench grinder, the wheel should be turning up against the blade. If it is turning the other way, it pulls the blade against the wheel and can cause the blade to pull in against the wheel and over heat the blade very fast. A RBG grinder has a switch to make the wheel turn either way. :)

#9 ·
At least that is what I think it was (Mini Miller), had the brochure and price ($300) promptly dropped it in the bit bucket... At that time I was using a Makita 7 inch hand grinder to sharpen blades (good job if you take your time)
since then I purchased a Fireball commercial grinder and now my blades are sharp and I have time to spare, maybe I will start a sideline business.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.