• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

How To Start Lawn Care Business

EricMoore

LawnSite Member
This pandemic has made to look inward on how to start a lawn care business after reading much about lawn maintenance and why it's a lucrative business. However, i would like to know if anyone has info about start-up and the estimated capital.

MowDaddy

LawnSite Fanatic
Welcome to Lawnsite.
There are many different startup levels.
But to be productive you'll want professional equipment. A truck, trailer. Basic supply's and basic hand tools. If you already have a truck or SUV capable of towing that would help.
But just equipment you'll be looking at around $10,000. For a basic setup.

Tn Turf

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm assuming your target is 1/4-acre yards?

I started my mowing biz out of the back of an old rusted out SUV.... beat the streets handing out flyers door-to-door. Built up to about 4 yards per day rather quickly (making roughly $180 to $200 daily).

My advice is don't go crazy in debt and buy equipment as needed to increase efficiency to keep up with demand.

Don't be the cheap guy. Call around and see what guys are getting and start somewhere in the middle.

First image is my starter setup 7 years ago.
Second image is my 3 trucks I run now (2 mowing trucks and 1 pressure washing rig)

Attachments

Last edited:

jetson

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm assuming your target is 1/4-acre yards?

I started my mowing biz out of the back of an old rusted out SUV.... beat the streets handing out flyers door-to-door. Built up to about 4 yards per day rather quickly (making roughly $180 to $200 daily).

My advice is don't go crazy in debt and buy equipment as needed to increase efficiency to keep up with demand.

Don't be the cheap guy. Call around and see what guys are getting and start somewhere in the middle.

First image is my starter setup 7 years ago.
Second image is my 3 trucks I run now (2 mowing trucks and 1 pressure washing rig)
Love that u worked out of a truck. But some good points there. I started mine without anything. I had experience just not the equipment. But yeah. Ur looking at say 4/5 k for a decent mower . Trimmers. Blowers. It all adds up pretty quickly. I bought a 33 inch walk behind no velke. But by the end of the year I had 30 yards. Don’t be afraid to fail. As In not making a lot money. It takes time and hard work. Networking. And doing quality work. Good luck .

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Step one : buy Prius
Step two: jam mower in back
Step three: choke on rotten grass and gas fumes
Step four: give up and find something to make money for a guy that owns a Prius

Lawn maintenance isn’t lucrative
Most people struggle at it just to make a living
Many fail going into debt and bankruptcy
Just because a select few do well in it doesn’t mean it’s something you can just go do, like deciding to get a gym membership one day.

It’s much more like body building
THAT GUY over THERE got huge and buff in 18 mos...
Most fail

It’s better to find something where there’s a lot less competition
Right now in America , skilled labor is rare, entrepreneurs are a dime a dozen expendable

You’d be better off joining a labor union and putting in your dues
In ten years you’d have something

If you like Texas Holdem and want to play big stakes with no experience in a field full of people trying to take your money and ruin you?
You’ve found the right place!

jetson

LawnSite Senior Member
Step one : buy Prius
Step two: jam mower in back
Step three: choke on rotten grass and gas fumes
Step four: give up and find something to make money for a guy that owns a Prius

Lawn maintenance isn’t lucrative
Most people struggle at it just to make a living
Many fail going into debt and bankruptcy
Just because a select few do well in it doesn’t mean it’s something you can just go do, like deciding to get a gym membership one day.

It’s much more like body building
THAT GUY over THERE got huge and buff in 18 mos...
Most fail

It’s better to find something where there’s a lot less competition
Right now in America , skilled labor is rare, entrepreneurs are a dime a dozen expendable

You’d be better off joining a labor union and putting in your dues
In ten years you’d have something

If you like Texas Holdem and want to play big stakes with no experience in a field full of people trying to take your money and ruin you?
You’ve found the right place!
If people are struggling to get by why you think they stay? Scared? Or don’t want to work for someone else. It is a tough biz to get into. I guess every biz is. Wonder why people assume it’s so lucrative? I think a lot of people are not honest about their business with themselves. And want to impress others I guess. But I wish I could really tell someone how to get into the business and be successful. Go work for someone and learn the business is my best advice. A full season for a big outfit will do u wonders.

Skol

LawnSite Senior Member
Low overhead to get into the business initially. I spent about 7k to get started.

jetson

LawnSite Senior Member
Low overhead to get into the business initially. I spent about 7k to get started.
What was ur next steps? Did u buy equipment before u had any clients? Did u know u could get clients.. referrals? Or wa it I’ll start this business and see what happens.. that’s what I did after working for a commercial company for 2 years and then losing my
Job at a college I worked at for a year ? This person is looking for that advice.

Cut n Strut

LawnSite Gold Member
This pandemic has made to look inward on how to start a lawn care business after reading much about lawn maintenance and why it's a lucrative business. However, i would like to know if anyone has info about start-up and the estimated capital.
It’s only lucrative if your better than your competitors. By “better” I’m not talking about how good you can cut grass, I’m talking how good you can run a biz. From the call, you’re image, estimate, knowledge, service, and billing - for it to be really “lucrative” you better be on your “A” game and provide the best overall experience for the customer, otherwise, you’re no different than the kid down the road mowing for $20.

As for start up capital, really depends on what you want your biz to be and what kind of deals you come across. Anywhere from $5k-$20k.

CapeMay609

LawnSite Member
Get yourself some nice looking door hangers and cover every decent area you can in the towns around you. I wouldn’t go near the million dollar homes yet if I were you. But definitely stay away from the really crappy houses.