How would you border these beds?

Hotty Toddy

LawnSite Senior Member
This client doesn’t like this metal brown edging between the artificial turf and the flower beds. She’d prefer a stone border. How would you do this? What would need to be ripped out/replaced?
28F030BD-EA28-477E-88D6-D237E1CD38A5.jpeg

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
Its probably holding the fakr turf back
Normal grass the roots hold the edge and keep its shape Thumbs Up

Cut n Strut

LawnSite Gold Member
This client doesn’t like this metal brown edging between the artificial turf and the flower beds. She’d prefer a stone border. How would you do this? What would need to be ripped out/replaced?View attachment 434348
I’m not sure that I would change it. You’ll have to pull some of that turf up and cut it in order to put a thicker border like stone. You’ll likely have to retamp the base for the turf, stretch and nail it, and brush in more infill. That’s if everything was done correctly from the original install.

You could leave the metal border and stack your stone behind it, build it up taller than the metal. If you give it a slight overhang and use a dark stone like Arkansas stone, you’ll make that metal edging hard to notice. You eye will focus on the stone instead.

Delmarva Keith

LawnSite Senior Member
I would do river rock, the 3-5” size. A random placed “triple row” type effect could likely be installed right over top of the existing edging or you might need to pound the edging a bit lower. Should be an easy install.

Unfortunately, given the formality of the existing hard angles and straight lines, it’s possible that when your customer says she wants “stone border,” she means rectangular stone Belgian blocks or something equivalently formal installed as inset into the bed. Any chance she would clarify what she wants?

OP
H

Hotty Toddy

LawnSite Senior Member
I would do river rock, the 3-5” size. A random placed “triple row” type effect could likely be installed right over top of the existing edging or you might need to pound the edging a bit lower. Should be an easy install.

Unfortunately, given the formality of the existing hard angles and straight lines, it’s possible that when your customer says she wants “stone border,” she means rectangular stone Belgian blocks or something equivalently formal installed as inset into the bed. Any chance she would clarify what she wants?
She definitely want clean lines. No curved border. Desires rectangular stones that do not have to be exact match.

Here’s a pic I was playing around with.
2600C09B-1871-4CD7-8A40-C643AFA1CF4A.jpeg
E3979E25-8C1C-4CFF-A23F-B55F37A629CC.jpeg
3BB32726-08C1-403F-8323-AE74C35AB240.jpeg

Attachments