1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

How would you price this?? (2 pircesplease)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Orkin Yards, May 5, 2002.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

I did a job and had a complaint about the price, i'll desbribe it.....

We (2 men) were at the house from (3:50-7:30 one day and for another 30 min the next) it consisted of pulling some ivy off of a wall, cutting crawling vine out of 2 windows and trimming it off of a wall, cutting back approx 7 azzalias from chest height to waist height and fertalizing, trimming 10 5 ft tall holly's, then clean-up just to give you an idea of the size of the yard, this is an $85 yard when we mow....

ALSO

what would you charge to fertalize an $85 yard if i use 1.5 11,000 sq ft bags that cost me 16/per bag.....

thank-you

2. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

i get close to the cost of the mowing job to install the fert. in your case 70.00 to 85.00 $

3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

How does $85 give us an idea of the size of the yard?

If 1 bag treats 11,000 and you are using 1.5 bags.. I would expect and hope the yard is 16,500 square feet?????

If they were on a program I would charge $50 per application.. $65 for one time.

Sounds like your clean-up would be around $300-350

If you are getting $85 to cut 16.5k yard... I commend you!

4. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

We still don't know if this yard is 16k. how do we know the application is being applied at the correct rate?

As for cutting 16k for $85.00. A fence with a small gate a few too many trees and a steep hill.......I can see $85.00

5. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

for the cleanup, no less than $320

6. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

It's always difficult to price w/o looking at the job, but let's see...

2 men, 4+ hours @ yourrate/manhour = ?

If your rate per manhour is $40, the job should be charged at $333.25. This would be the charge if they were a regular lawn care customer. If not, I would charge more or just skip it.

I would base the fertilizing on the square footage of the property. For 16,000 square (if, in fact, that is what it is) my formulas come up with $102 for fertilizing. However, my market has nothing that large in it so my formulas are based on prices of lawns under 6000 square feet. Adjust accordingly for your market. ;)

Now, the big question: What did you charge?

7. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

i charted 170 and got a complaint....she bought us krystal and talked to us for i'd say atleast an hour of the time i charge 85 for the fert also....

8. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

$170/4 = $42.50/2 = $21.25/manhour.

That seems low to me for a professional service. A lot of guys around here will charge that, though they're under the table. If she thought that was high, I would very much consider doing no further work for her.

The $85 for fertilizing sounds about right, though...

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

we sell fert programs, not single apps. the price would be $168.30 x 6 apps

10. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

$83 for the fert.