How would you rate my bidding?

JackJohnson2323

LawnSite Member
I live on the upper east coast, so wave a good amount of rain. So far I have been lucky getting rain on days I’m not mowing so it keeps growing. For a residential smaller yard I’m around 35-40, slightly bigger around 50-60 and big yard around 75-85. I did one last night took 3 hours and I charged 120 cash.

mulching: I charge around 90( if no edging or anything else besides mulching)-150 per yard if that includes hills, edging, weeding, bush trimming, etc.

my problem is, I don’t know how to bid on other jobs. Am I to use an hourly rate and guess how many hours it will take? Say for example a shrub trimming job where I haul the trimmings. Would I charge by bush or by hourly rate?

also. Is 45$ hourly rate too low? All of my customers consistently tell me I do an amazing job with what I can do. Would you raise it or is that about average? I’m a solo operator at this point,

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
Quantify what you consider “ big yard”? Acre? 2acres?

I consider those prices low, but I nor anyone else knows your overhead, labor burden, etc. based on your post.

Joana Williams

LawnSite Senior Member
I live on the upper east coast, so wave a good amount of rain. So far I have been lucky getting rain on days I’m not mowing so it keeps growing. For a residential smaller yard I’m around 35-40, slightly bigger around 50-60 and big yard around 75-85. I did one last night took 3 hours and I charged 120 cash.

mulching: I charge around 90( if no edging or anything else besides mulching)-150 per yard if that includes hills, edging, weeding, bush trimming, etc.

my problem is, I don’t know how to bid on other jobs. Am I to use an hourly rate and guess how many hours it will take? Say for example a shrub trimming job where I haul the trimmings. Would I charge by bush or by hourly rate?

also. Is 45$ hourly rate too low? All of my customers consistently tell me I do an amazing job with what I can do. Would you raise it or is that about average? I’m a solo operator at this point,

If you're solo, you should be getting $100.00/ Hour to do work.

You can't operate a business on $45.00/pmh

And everyone has their own perception on what a "small" "medium" "large" yard is. ( Let us know SQFT if possible )

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
I charge per shrub and have an additional dump fee. It's just easier to quantify to me.

Yes $45/hr is low. Sometimes on new jobs, you either have customer agree to pay you hourly if you don't know how long it will take. Or you take an estimated guess on time, tally up your hours, mark up on materials, dump fees, and give it a go. Watch your time and work like mad to stay on track. Sometimes you learn the hard way you didn't charg enough, but that's part of learning the biz.

DavidsonLandscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
I get $45 minimum for a 5000k ft plot including the house, driveways etc, but you should be shooting for 100 a hr, 150 a yard a mulch installed etc

Tn Turf

LawnSite Senior Member
You need to know your numbers. You're pricing it like throwing darts at a dartboard and hoping it's right.

That said, $45 is too low. You can work stress free at Home Depot in the A/C for $15hr + bonuses and not have to worry about any overhead and mishaps.

Know your worth.

Top Forums