How would you react

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmonstihl

LawnSite Member
cusyomer is due for a service today. I get a call around noon and she's asks what time I'm gonna be there. I let her know sometime in the late afternoon. (I don't give precise times because of variables) I hear hesitation like she's gonna wait at the house until I show up.

I let her know she doesn't have to be there for payment, you can leave the check under the mat. She agrees and lets me the the back gate will be unlocked.

I show up, service the front and side, but the back gate is locked . I knocked, rang doorbell, called , then called again and left voicemail explaining the situation. I told her I'll be back tomorrow or Monday to finish. Waited 5 minutes for response then left.

Finally get a call back this morning and it's the husband. A little bit of context, I've been doing this guys yard for $35 a week and throw in extra services like flower bed maintenance and hedge trimming for free since his yard isn't that large. That's my novice mistake. Anyway, husband calls and left a nasty voicemail yelling that I forgot to do his backyard then starts mumbling off to how wife tAlking **** about me.

His wife followed up with a text that he didn't listen to the voicemail before he called.

So the wife isn't relaying any info but still the dude coukda called back and owned up. Got to see his true character even when I was being generous to this guy giving extra services on the house he still behaves. ungrateful

He was referred to me from his son in law. Great customer. Just don't wanna jeopardize son in laws account if I let this guy go.

How would you guys react?

That Guy Gary

LawnSite Gold Member
"You were understandably upset when you called because you thought I skipped your yard and I won't take it personally.

However I don't tolerate that kind of abuse from clients. I can put it behind me this time but if it happens again I will no longer service your lawn."

It’s not a huge problem imo if it doesn't happen again. If this is actually normal behavior for him and wasn't out of character I wouldn't worry about losing SIL either. He's got to be aware by now that his FIL is a dick if that's true.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
?? High jacked ?? And this answers the OP????

Tn Turf

LawnSite Senior Member
How desperate are we for work that we have to put up with that kind of behavior? You already under bid the property throwing in the extras at no charge... and you get abused on top of all that?

Nothing I hate more than a client calling to ask "when I'll be there". I mean I get it if they are trying to plan a bbq or hosting a function.

In the past month I've had 3 locked gates with nobody home to open gate. Customer's overlook it, not a big deal. I simply skip the back yard and take full payment and text them I'll double cut next mow at no charge as a courtesy. I do not give discounts for showing up and doing my job. Same if the grass doesn't need cut due to no-growth from the drought. I'll pull the mower off and put tracks in the yard and charge them regular price. It is their responsibly to call/text or email to skip a day in advance. Some do, but surprisingly, most don't. Been mowing dust the past 2 weeks.

That said, those 3 customers with locked gates apologized and promised not let it happen again. And if they do, they already know they are paying full price and getting half the yard mowed.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
Posted in the wrong thread.

Tried to delete it.

My apologies.
I thought it was, just ribbing you.
To the OP I would walk, no need to be abused.

BigJlittleC

Banned
Same if the grass doesn't need cut due to no-growth from the drought. I'll pull the mower off and put tracks in the yard and charge them regular price. It is their responsibly to call/text or email to skip a day in advance. Some do, but surprisingly, most don't. Been mowing dust the past 2 weeks.
Way to be a professional. Mowing dust just cause your clients didn't say no makes you look greedy and unprofessional.

I understand if your charging people per cut it will reduce your pay. That's still not a reason to stick it to your clients. I will assume your clients hire you to professionally maintain their yard. Would you stir up dust if it was your own yard? That's what a pro would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.