How would you tackle this tree removal?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Hotty Toddy, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Av93Rv6Oo2AlG.gif

Doc8406 and RussellB like this.
  2. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

You will be donating that chain for the job just so you know but as flintknapper said that is an easy way to go about it. The $15 will be worth it.

3. Dirtylinus

Dirtylinus LawnSite Member

Yep sawsall and nine dollar diablo pruning blade times 4 or 5 and start cutiing and rock bar wear gloves and long sleeves those make most itch.

4. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Do the materials deliver themselves?
    Who goes to the nursery? Gets the plants?
    Dumps the debris?
    Picks up topsoil and mulch and brings it to the job site?

You're looking at this having never done it before, leaving way to much out of the consideration for time.

If it were so easy the home owner would strattle the hole and pull them out like carrots themselves
    Waddle over to Home Depot buy two furry looking things and two bags of mulch and be done with it

But no
    They’re going to want a warranty

That stuff you e given half a day for
    When did it get watered in?
    You going to come back and check on it?
    What about when the plants die? You just going to eat that gamble?

No... that’s factored into the time on the job.
    It still has to be a profitable job, even after a possible honored warranty.

5. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

The contractor is supposed to do that
    If you hit something it’s on you, the one doing the digging

kemco and RussellB like this.
  6. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

^^^^^ just call and have them switch the ticket # to your company. They are more than likely going to want you to mark your dig area in white marking paint obviously don't paint on the customers drive. If it's too crowded to mark what you are doing clearly explain to them... Example ... We will be digging out the two front shrubs east and west of front drive. White is what they have us use here in TN. It may vary ask them. They will then give you a window or time frame to get the dog complete. If you dig outside the window and hit a line you are once again liable. But you can easily just call maybe go online and get a time extension if you find you can't get it done in time. Mark those dates on your calendar.

7. weeze

weeze Banned

tow strap and truck in 4lo. a steady pull and both shrubs would be out in less than 5-10minutes.

no way to know for sure how bad the roots are growing under the sidewalk. even pulling straight up with a backhoe or whatever could break the sidewalk too.

sawing down could be done fast but i'm not digging up roots by hand. they can't pay me enough to do that. :laugh:

i would let them know the dangers and if they don't wanna risk it then saw it flush with ground and leave the roots in the ground. plant new shrubs beside old stumps.

wouldn't hurt to drill holes in stumps after cutting flush and put something in there to kill it then plant new stuff a few weeks later.

8. flintknapper

flintknapper LawnSite Senior Member

"weeze, wrote:

"tow strap and truck in 4lo. a steady pull and both shrubs would be out in less than 5-10minutes."

No question the trees could be removed by pulling them. And I don't doubt the time frame you propose (though this isn't a race). But there is more to consider than just getting them out of the ground.

"no way to know for sure how bad the roots are growing under the sidewalk. even pulling straight up with a backhoe or whatever could break the sidewalk too."

Exactly. Since there is the possibility (if not an excellent chance) that the root systems extend under the driveway, sidewalk and throughout the flower bed...why would anyone not favor cutting the root system instead of ripping it all out?

?sawing down could be done fast but i'm not digging up roots by hand. they can't pay me enough to do that. :laugh:"

With all due respect...that is what makes you the wrong guy for the job IMO.

"i would let them know the dangers and if they don't wanna risk it then saw it flush with ground and leave the roots in the ground. plant new shrubs beside old stumps."

The 'dangers' could be easily eliminated (and quickly) by using the proper method of removal. Sans that...then yes an incomplete job could be performed. Perhaps the homeowner would not know the difference....but I would not do sub-par work.

"wouldn't hurt to drill holes in stumps after cutting flush and put something in there to kill it then plant new stuff a few weeks later."

Agreed. Any time you leave a stump/root system and you don't want it coming back...it would be prudent to treat it. In this case neither tree is given to putting off 'suckers', but it wouldn't hurt to kill the root system.

I've used the chainsaw method with great success quite a few times on the roots of small shrubs and trees (those not requiring grinding). And though the approach will vary with each one...it typically goes quickly .

I understand the reluctance of some to stick a chainsaw bar/chain down into the dirt (especially rocky soil). The chain should be considered 'sacrificial' of course.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Guess you wouldn't do well in irrigation repair Weeze:laugh: Perfect example where you gotta just dig er out....I like your pull er out!

KIMG0806.JPG

10. weeze

weeze Banned

we don't have irrigation around here. water falls from the sky :laugh:

digging those out would take half a day or more and you wouldn't be able to move the next several days because you would be so sore....all for about $50. not worth it to me.