• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

How would YOU treat this property?

Ex-golf guy

LawnSite Member
3 fertilizer apps, 2 broadleaf weed control apps.

A couple points to consider:

1.) Upper right corner, that is a steep slope, but apps are only to the portion below the silt fence seen in the picture, above is native/prairie on the slope.

2.) White line running parallel to sidewalk from half-moon bed down is a rock retaining wall approx 2 ft high.

3.) Overall turf area is in the neighborhood of 70k. Almost 80k area-wise then taking out almost 10k of sidewalk/fountain in the central portion, measured in GoILawn.

4.) Parked at the curve of the driveway far left, approx 365 ft to far inside point of the reverse C building in center of picture.

Just curious what methods would be employed here, and why you'd do it that way?

Me... I'll likely drag hose from 3-4 points with weed control and uflexx, instead of granular fert and liquid weed control from the permagreen because of the long strips, broken up areas, and all of the sidewalk area in the center. How about you?

complex.jpg

Young Bros

LawnSite Senior Member
At first I would say ride on. Then I started looking at the pic closer, ride on might not be practicle with all the small areas for weed control. I would time both ways including blowing off sidewalks. If weed control is good both ways, then go with the less labor.

phillie

LawnSite Senior Member
I think you would be better off using a rideon. Unfortunately its not practical for all of the smaller areas you have to treat. The reason I say this is that you get better results with the mist a rideon puts out rather than the larger dropplets the chemlawn gun puts out. With only two weed control apps a year that might be something to consider. They do sell a wand attachment for the c. gun but it seems like it takes forever to get done. With that said I think I would go out there with a rideon, push spreader and a backpack.

Young Bros

LawnSite Senior Member
I think you would be better off using a rideon. Unfortunately its not practical for all of the smaller areas you have to treat. The reason I say this is that you get better results with the mist a rideon puts out rather than the larger dropplets the chemlawn gun puts out. With only two weed control apps a year that might be something to consider. They do sell a wand attachment for the c. gun but it seems like it takes forever to get done. With that said I think I would go out there with a rideon, push spreader and a backpack.
Wow. Your first post is going to say ride on gets better weed control than a gun? The more water you have, the more of the weed your spray will cover. With the ride on it is easier to miss smaller weeds with the less water. That is why on the fungi labels it says to use high gl/m like 3-5 so you can get good coverage of the plant. In weed control, you dont have to cover whole plant, however the more coverage the better control in my experience.

phillie

LawnSite Senior Member
I am not triing to tell you which way is better. In my experience the gun has bigger dropplets that seem to just roll off of the leaves of weeds such as spurge, clover, henbit, chickweed and other small leaved weeds. Personally I get better coverage blanket spraying with a rideon. Obviously, treat it with whatever gives you better coverage. My bad, I was just triing to help.

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
This is the kind of area for a fan tip on a wand or a 4 ft boom. I would do all of the narrow areas with the single nozzle fan and walk all the larger open areas with the boom. I could put down 2 gallons/K over the entire area in less than a day. I also agree with larger drops rolling off. The weeds in my area are a little different. Lots of prostrate spurge, black medic and oxalis. A fan operated at 40 PSI and 1 gallon per K with some nonionic surfactant in the tank is the best way I have found to take down those hard to kill weeds.

RAlmaroad

LawnSite Silver Member
I built my skid system with a 40 gal tank that can be left in the truck or is easily slide onto a wagon that I can pull by hand on those sidewalks. Also built the wagon from PVC lumber on 12" pneumatic wheels. Rolls like nothing there. Reel is 150' with 5' walking boom. Getting to all of those small area and trees using 2gallon of product/K is easily. I'd prefer to do application early in day to avoid drift onto automobiles. A piece of cake and with no more turf that is there, only one tank to mix. Are the trees part of your contract?

Young Bros

LawnSite Senior Member
I am not triing to tell you which way is better. In my experience the gun has bigger dropplets that seem to just roll off of the leaves of weeds such as spurge, clover, henbit, chickweed and other small leaved weeds. Personally I get better coverage blanket spraying with a rideon. Obviously, treat it with whatever gives you better coverage. My bad, I was just triing to help.
Do you spray with fert or sticker? Should not roll off as easy.

cjhawkeye

LawnSite Member
Although pulling hose would be tedious, it's definately the way to go here. When you factor in all of the time you would be spending blowing off sidewalks and additional hand spraying, you'd be better off with the truck. Also the coverage and weed controll is way better with the truck than with the ride on.

phillie

LawnSite Senior Member
YOur right, sticker would help alot. I spray fert. and herb without a sticker. I do add a sticker if it is a little wetter than id like but not all the time. This year im switching to dry fert and spaying herb as needed. Alot of my customers are starting to ask about IPM so im triing to go that route. Hell if your going to add a sticker i'd pull the hose too.