How you all get contracts with churches

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mownmachine144, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Mownmachine144

Mownmachine144 LawnSite Member

How do you all get contracts with churches?
    I've been calling local churches If they wanted their property serviced.
    Hasn't really worked out this year as far as getting commercial contracts.

Any help is well appreciated :)

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Being a member of the church helps.

3. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Florida

I mow a church. Pastor is my next door neighbor and came to me. Like any other commercial account, a lot of it comes down to who you know.

4. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Member

We do a large church in our area. We landed the account from Thumbtack! I know it's crazy but occasionally something good comes through there.

GSO LAWNEN4CER likes this.
  5. Dawson

Dawson LawnSite Bronze Member

Like Todd mentioned, getting commercial accounts almost always comes down to a personal connection with someone in charge at the account. I'm sitting here thinking about it and while I have never catered to commercial work I have had quite a few commercial accounts over the years and every single one has come through a personal connection to either the person in charge of hiring or someone with influence with that person.

That Guy Gary, hort101 and MNLawns like this.
  6. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Gold Member
    from Chicago

I cut at a religious temple. I gain the account by doing great work across the street. The High Priestess walked over while I was cutting.

Like any business if you don't advertise people won't know you to call. Lots of reading on advertising if you use the search button at the top.

That Guy Gary likes this.
  7. Mownmachine144

Mownmachine144 LawnSite Member

Good to know thank you all!
    I have another question...
    How do you get contracts with a commercial property like dollar general or a Office building.

8. MNLawns

MNLawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from MN

connections with the property mgmt. company

9. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Silver Member
    from NWI....

10. Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC

Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member

If your just starting in the commercial world I HIGHLY RECOMMEND to go after franchise businesses....as the person who makes the ultimate decision is always local to that store front, and sometimes can lead to service at 2-3 chain stores locations locally.

Exxon is a great example, as well as fast food locations.

BE forwewarned tho that commercial properties generally want a one-stop shop approach to ALL their ground maintenance (snow, trimming, trees, mulch, mowing etc. etc...)

ALSO CALL AND PERSONALLY VIST all the local small business and get involved in the local small biz-conferences and council meetings. CPA's are all over town as well as dentist offices that are run out of a home/office type setting. When you get into high-rise multi-business complexes its always a property management company and that is hard thick ice to break without multiple crews etc.... Local Union places also are good targets, like UAW, Ekls clubs and veteran outreach centers.

Dawson and Tara Ann like this.