Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

Registered

Registered
Side mouse! How ya doing brother! Great gig there dude! I like the 50 is the new 30. I rolled the dice stuff would get bad this summer and left prices alone. Not seeing the strain here in philly yet so i should have taken your approach!
I had no choice...
I am tired of being frustrated, spinning my wheels so to speak...
So much dang work, not enough time, phone ringing and pinging.
I can only do so much.

But...
You might not be in as bad a shape as you think, because the first order of operations is always fill your schedule. Lots of good does it do if our schedule isn't full, once it's full we can start raising prices here and there...
It also takes practice, you may not have been wrong to be cautious, lord knows I've near lost my business because of BALLS before.

So fill your schedule, a full schedule is when you can't take on any more work but you take it on anyway and then slowly start to raise prices. It's never too late.

It takes practice, believe me it sounds easy but go up too fast or slow. It is all a big bad learning experience, then before you know it you're old and wondering what the hell happened.

By the way...
Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I think those toys beat any Ventrac! May I ask how many dineros for the grapple boom and lift?
the boom is a tm50 hydro self propelled tow behind., that was 46k cash out of the box. Took a year and 2 months to get tho with a zero balance outstanding. The grapple wasn鈥檛 bad. Finding it was tough. Guys were asking 30-40k and i was like nope. Then found blacks creek. Jms 130 boom (2000 pick capacity) 10鈥 log trailer with shipping no tax was 24 and change cash. Bought a 10k, 9999 but really 16gvw 14鈥 48鈥 side Kaufman dump to offset that 40k number. Grapple will also set smaller residential telephone poles and parking lot lighting.

Registered
Sweet machines!

Did you get the dump trailer derated to sub 10k so in the future you could get a bigger truck maxed out at 25999 lbs and still be below CDL A requirements?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Sweet machines!

Did you get the dump trailer derated to sub 10k so in the future you could get a bigger truck maxed out at 25999 lbs and still be below CDL A requirements?
i try to keep everything at 7000 gvw and trucks 10gvw(f250s) it makes life more simple.11$ a year registrations, inspections only if I鈥檓 headed on highway, usually local so don鈥檛 keep up with trailer inspections. Pa has a 17,000 combined rule if 17,000 combined you鈥檙e goodas in no medical card, flairs etc.
i wanted the Kaufman to stay under 20 figuring no big deal since i never got pulled over in my bucket truck. They set up a check point in late March like a dui one but for little landscapers. Although i didn鈥檛 get hit other then warnings it took the wind out of my sails. But out of all my lawns who do i ask(because he told me he was an x cop, none other then the guy who came up with the check point idea in the first place. So he鈥檚 helping me get all that stuff. But i have a f550 with a altec 37g full insulated bucket truck that鈥檚 19,5gvw. Drove it uninspected with trailers (Definately over 26 with full loads) etc馃ぃ馃ぃand never got stopped so figured being under 26,001 was fine. Haha.
no bigger trucks man. Too much problems, hasstle, nonsense. I mean it鈥檚 a shade under 700 for registrations. Trailers are pennies.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yeah here in NY once you are over 10k combined they get pissy and you need the DOT crap.

So what does the tn50 offer that the bucket truck doesn't? Better mileage? More flexibility in getting into tight spots?
yeah it鈥檚 a pain in the neck.

the tm50 is 56鈥 to my chest. It鈥檚 53鈥 wide outside to outside wheel base. Outriggers down 14鈥 wide. My wife doesn鈥檛 like me climbing, understandably so with two little boys and bills. I can get it in back yards.
Also the bucket truck is very heavy on yards. Solo operation moving 3/4 ply all day is tough man. I wrecked a guys yard trying to get it out a few years ago. Costly but did learn
Plus the o tigon all boom there鈥檚 almost zero movement and I鈥檓 220 lbs.

ordered another chipper a small one, 6鈥
Plan is to boom the tree down with nifty lift. Come bavk with my 1215 chipper or dump trailer with dingo grapple and 6鈥 chipper. Or with log trailer
But for a solo operation i should be able to do everything (not 80鈥 oaks) i want to do. 60 foot and down

21 - 28 of 28 Posts