Lawn Care Forum banner

How's this for a low baller...

17K views 61 replies 29 participants last post by  Stephen Angelillo 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Hmmmm.......he says "all locations". Might have to give him a call and see when he can be here......wonder, just wonder if there is any truth to his advertising? At any rate, one will do what one has to do to eat.....
Indeed but even if the machine is paid off after paying for diesel fuel ($3 bucks a gallon here) and the fuel to get to a job site plus maintenance on a older machine...one must be eating ramen.

#9 ·
wow $20 a hour, $160 a day you couldnt beat that by renting a machine for the day.

Whats skidsteer work go for per hour in your areas? $65 here

#11 ·
Some people must be really desparate in the USA for work there is no way you would see that around here working a machine for 20 dollars per hour you can't even get a labourer to use a shovel for anything less than 20 per hour.

#12 ·
Some people must be really desparate in the USA for work there is no way you would see that around here working a machine for 20 dollars per hour you can't even get a labourer to use a shovel for anything less than 20 per hour.
I can have all the laborors I want for $8.00 a hour. I probably won't be able to talk to them put I can point and show what I want dug:laugh:

#13 ·
I can have all the laborors I want for $8.00 a hour. I probably won't be able to talk to them put I can point and show what I want dug:laugh:
A labourer for 8 dollars per hour here is a kid that wears baggy pants that don't stay up and wears a hat backwards.

If you want a good employee your paying minimum 20 dollars per hour anything less money don't expect much.

No such thing as mexicans around here even a drunken native indian wants 20 dollars per hour :laugh:

#14 ·
You people and your low baller hating.

Here's the math numb nuts.

22 working days, weekends off- 22 x 8 hour days = 176 hours.

176 hours x $20 per hour= $3520.00 income.

Caterpillar has skid steers for as low as $400 a month financed amount.

$3520.00 - $400 monthly payment= $3120.00 left to use.

Fuel- $3.00 per hour x 176 hours = $528.00, now it's even cheaper to use off road with bio-diesel mix here.

Now you have $2592.00 per month.
If the "low baller" bought a cheap good running machine and everything they own is paid for, and they have investments on the side, trust me, it's a good living.

Geebus Christ, do the math before you start hating the low ballers, even I am a low baller to get the work.

#19 ·

Fuel- $3.00 per hour x 176 hours = $528.00, now it's even cheaper to use off road with bio-diesel mix here.

If the "low baller" bought a cheap good running machine and everything they own is paid for, and they have investments on the side, trust me, it's a good living.

Geebus Christ, do the math before you start hating the low ballers, even I am a low baller to get the work.
TAXES, INSURANCE, MAINTENANCE EXPENSES, FUEL TO GET THE LOADER TO THE SITE????

oOOH, I forgot, prolly doesn't have insurance nor does he pay taxes.....

#20 ·

Last May Dirtman posted the correct way to calculate equipment costs...

So I've been playing around with all the stuff I've learned in school over the years

I've came up with how to calculate what a machine costs per hour to operate

Here's a Example on a new Takkie 250 skid steer

How to calculate the ownership cost of a Skid Steer

Lets use a new Takeuchi TL250 skid steer for example

Engine: 100 HP
Operating factor ( average engine speed throughout its life): 60%
Purchase price: $62,000
Estimated salvage value ( what its worth when sold) : $18,000
Useful life: 5 years
Hours used per year: 750
Maintenance and repairs: 110% of annual depreciation
Equipment overhead rate 15%
Diesel fuel Price $ 2.65 per gallon

Average annual investment = (Total cost + salvage value) / 2
=$62,000 + $18,000/ 2
= $40,000
Fuel Consumption 100X.04 (that’s the diesel conversion decimal) x 60
= 2 gallons per hour

Annual costs

Depreciation= Initial cost- salvage value/ useful life

$62,000 – $18,000/ 5
= $8,800
Maintenance and repairs
= 110% of annual depreciation
1.1 ( $8,800)
= $9,680
Equipment overhead 15%

= 15% average annual investment
= .15 (40,000)
=$6000

Total annual costs =$24,480

Hourly cost=
= total annual cost/ hours used per year
Machine cost=

$24,480/ 750 hours
= $32.64
Fuel costs = Fuel consumption x fuel cost

= 2 gals per hour X $2.65 per gal.
= $5.30
Lube/ oil 10% of fuel cost

=.53

Total machine cost per hour = $38.47 per hour

This does not include operator costs.

#21 ·
Who gives a flying f*ck about Depreciation= Initial cost- salvage value/ useful life annual depreciation if that's what you are worried about, start wrapping rubber baby buggy bumpers on your skid steer because the second you get a scratch on it, you'll lose money!!!!!!

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!

#23 ·
Who gives a flying f*ck about Depreciation= Initial cost- salvage value/ useful life annual depreciation if that's what you are worried about, start wrapping rubber baby buggy bumpers on your skid steer because the second you get a scratch on it, you'll lose money!!!!!!

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Tell me your fuc$ing kidding.

#24 ·
Ron is right in some ways just run the machine and quit worrying if it will ever pay for itself. I wouldn't be running a machine for 20 dollars per hour that is way too low even for a old skid steer like the guy on Craigslist has.

Talking to one of my owner operator friends the other day he said he won't run his gravel truck for anyless than 100 per hour the cost of fuel etc work for anyless your not making money.

You can crunch numbers all you want but all it takes is one big problem like blowing a cooler line for the engine and it pumps out the oil and engine seizes up. Hydraulic fires are another problem and the machine burns up.

Any of the contractors here they don't get involved in crunching the numbers if they need a specific machine they buy it. Skid steers have always been a low money maker around here with their limited uses they were never do make good money. Rubber tired backhoes are being phased out most contractors don't own one anymore if they do it is a older machine that has been paid for.

Working for lowball rates you will never win.

#25 ·
I'm with Ron. When something major fails, the machine's gone. It gets sent to wherever track loaders go to heaven- Probably with Burnout running them.

I was odwn to one machine at the time I joined this site. I owned a mighty fleet (125C, 941B, 125E) of track loaders, and rebuilt them every seven thousand hours, and when it was time for the second rebuild, they left my posession.

#26 ·

You have to factor in the truck and trailer and there is other business stuff. But at those numbers you could do better working at Menards(or somewhere else...) and taking a bunch of overtime, you would make more money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.