Huge leaf quote need help!

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Domenick, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Domenick

Domenick LawnSite Member

I just got asked to do a quote to remove leafs from 40 row homes, in total on either side of the street. I'm assuming it's just for the whole street though. I have no clue where to start I have two backpack blowers and a leaf loader with a trailer. It would be the whole street and front of houses, which are about 20x20 and two back alleys that have a one car parking spaces. I would have 4 guys, and just use two other blowers. Should I price it at $175 an hour then extra for removal? I have no clue where to start. Really any help, kinda want this job but don't want to lose money or end up making $30 an hour. Any tips please

2. Domenick

Domenick LawnSite Member

IMG_0487.jpg

3. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

Looking at all the trees. I personally would not want anything to do with that job. Good luck .

TrainingWheels and sjessen like this.
  4. Domenick

Domenick LawnSite Member

5. RDALawns

Male, from Texas

Your easily talking about 40+ hours. Im not sure you could do some of the yards in 2 hours.

6. RDALawns

Male, from Texas

Apperntly you have little experience in overwhelming jobs . Or bidding them. Estimate how many hours you will have in the job+ dump fees if applicable. Then figure your hourly rate. Multiple your estimated hours by rate plus incurred expensiveness .

sjessen likes this.
  7. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Bronze Member

Break it down yard by yard and figure your time. There's no way anyone here can tell you how to figure this one out. Add a good 20% or so extra to account for going over.

firecutgrass and RDALawns like this.
  8. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Silver Member
    from Chicago

Your going to need more then 2 back pack blowers to make this job worth while. Sure you can spend the next few days blowing it all to the curb with one but the question is will they pay you for all that time? A wheeled blower or 2 with the backpacks will shorten your time. What you listed as equipment and manpower will cause your estimate to be alot higher then the guy who will send 2-3 crews with the right equipment. But if you really want to bid this do what RDA said and figure it out.

RDALawns likes this.
  9. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Ark

We can't give you a # but I will give you tips.

Leaves always take longer than you think. I'm guessing you're a little new to this otherwise you wouldn't be asking on here. Easiest way to screw yourself in this biz is with leaf jobs.

What kind of access to the street is there? Huge difference if they are fenced in vs. open to blow to street.

How many trips to dump, dump fees?

Maybe estimate time needed for each yard and then multiply. Each yard may be different of course.

Good luck, don't screw yourself.

sjessen, hort101 and RDALawns like this.
  10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Can you find a truck scales? Charge by the bushel, (1.1 cubic foot)--Just find out how much a bushel weighs. Clean up one lawn. Record its sqft and estimated leaf thickness. Then consider it average--find the weight of the leaves from one yard and the time required. Weigh with your bathroom scales, if you wish.
    Multiply by the number of lawns, of equal size. Charge the customer by weight. Figure your expenses, based on the time to clean up one average lawn (or one average bushel). Add an upcharge--if the customer is particular about every single leaf--for wet leaves--for fences.

You may need to go to a tarp company--have them construct a heavy duty tarp that you can drag with your mower. Find a way to tie it into a log shape that will fit through gates.
    Experience counts. Measure by eye next year. Keep careful records--sqft, time, manpower, machine power, and weight (or bushels) so you will know what to charge next year.
    Charge "machine time" for any equipment used. The customer doesn't usually see that, but you need it, so that in two years you will have paid off the machines purchase price, plus gas and repairs