Huge mulch bed from SCRATCH. Price help

Jamesmowslawns

LawnSite Member
Huge to me maybe not so much to some of you guy me, but I have a customer who wants less mowing so she wants a huge 100’ x 10-12’ area mulched along her driveway, it’s a rectangle with lilacs every 12’. Originally she wanted circle beds around each tree but decided she wants the whole thing one big bed completely mulched. Doesn’t care about the cost but I have never installed a bed that big before. I’d be removing 4-5” of lawn from 1000-1200sq ft area and dumping in the back of their property so no hauling away.

Basically if you were installing a 1200sqft mulch bed from scratch would you price this by the job or by the hour? “You should know how long that square footage will take you”. Negative because I’m anticipating a lot of roots to deal with, won’t know til I start.

I have a 26hp Massey tractor with bucket that I charge 60/hr plus daily fuel for. Does that seem too low for the type of job this is or for that matter too low in general? She understands she’d be paying a lot now for less maintenance later. Thanks in advance

Mark Stark

LawnSite Fanatic
Huge to me maybe not so much to some of you guy me, but I have a customer who wants less mowing so she wants a huge 100’ x 10-12’ area mulched along her driveway, it’s a rectangle with lilacs every 12’. Originally she wanted circle beds around each tree but decided she wants the whole thing one big bed completely mulched. Doesn’t care about the cost but I have never installed a bed that big before. I’d be removing 4-5” of lawn from 1000-1200sq ft area and dumping in the back of their property so no hauling away.

Basically if you were installing a 1200sqft mulch bed from scratch would you price this by the job or by the hour? “You should know how long that square footage will take you”. Negative because I’m anticipating a lot of roots to deal with, won’t know til I start.

I have a 26hp Massey tractor with bucket that I charge 60/hr plus daily fuel for. Does that seem too low for the type of job this is or for that matter too low in general? She understands she’d be paying a lot now for less maintenance later. Thanks in advance

Are you cutting the sod out by hand or using a sod cutter? Probably by hand since you mention possibility of lots of roots.

Sounds like we'd be something like this.....

Mulch: $1200
Sod Remove: $650
Edging (1 edge, not driveway side): $250
Misc: $400 (unknown since roots, etc)

Total: $2500 + tax

hackitdown

LawnSite Gold Member
Start by marking it out with paint everything in that area gets scapled to the ground with a string trimmer then sprayed with round up.
Take a bed edger around the outside to create the border then mulch the area. Done, no extra hauling off or tractor work.

This is the right idea. I'd suggest doing these steps, but in a different order. The edge should be cut and removed first, then spray remaining turf with Roundup, then wait, then scalp, then mulch.

It should be sprayed before scalping. Glyphosate should be sprayed on the foliage of a target plant (in this case the blades of grass). After spraying, wait a couple of days for the roundup to do its work, then go ahead and scalp or remove.

knox gsl

LawnSite Fanatic
This is the right idea. I'd suggest doing these steps, but in a different order. The edge should be cut and removed first, then spray remaining turf with Roundup, then wait, then scalp, then mulch.

It should be sprayed before scalping. Glyphosate should be sprayed on the foliage of a target plant (in this case the blades of grass). After spraying, wait a couple of days for the roundup to do its work, then go ahead and scalp or remove.
If I had a few days to do this I would spray a week before I started too. If edging by hand I'd do that first as well. With a machine it's best to edge last and just blow the spoils out with a leaf blower.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
OP mentioned removing 4-5 inches of soil/turf. Is this to get rid of the grass or to bring the grade/ground level down ? So the driveway is flush with the top of the mulch, and it is not spilling into driveway?

If removal is only to get rid of grass then I agree with everyone else. Skip removing anything. I usually spray paint the outline, cut the edge ,gly the area, wait 7 days, , apply snapshot, apply mulch, water. The snapshot requires immediately being watered in.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
Bid this by the job, bidding hourly is safer but eliminates potential for maximum profit.

Also in my opinion, mulch beds are higher maintenance than turf. To each their own.

hackitdown

LawnSite Gold Member
I'd price it at around $2,000 if they are ok with roundup and scalping. Sod removal would be a lot more.

OP
J

Jamesmowslawns

LawnSite Member
Thanks for all the input guys, some parts are below the driveway so can just round up it but most is above driveway grade so requires mechanical removal. I’m not sure why but the ground is so soft there and I checked several areas for presence of roots and there were none. As far are removing the sod it really won’t take long, maybe 8hrs for me. Priced it @ $2800 for sod removal and laying 6yds. Me and one guy can do it in 16 man hours

Top Forums