Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been experimenting with Humic acid over the last year. On one property with very poor soil, the only thing that got my zoysia to pop was Lesco’s Carbon Pro L

After finding a few sources of reasonably priced Humic I have been using it quite a bit this spring. [email protected] 2oz, RGS @ 4oz and Yara 22-0-12 granular.

The first property was hit with a half rate of Yara 22-0-12 ( because that’s what my tech applied :( ). The second picture was from today about 3 weeks after I came back and put down just iron and Humic.

The second property was about 2 weeks after applying the full program of Yara, Humic and iron. I like this stuff.
Sky Daytime Building Plant Property
Sky Cloud Building Plant Botany
Sky Plant Daytime Road surface Tree
Sky Plant Hat Green Tree
Plant Tree Sky Window Natural landscape

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Humic is a good product if you have places for it in your program. I tried it for a year or so and just didn’t see much difference. Mainly warm turf here and very few growing season spray chances. So most of my apps were in transition or dormancy. I feel like it’s gonna take years to get the results especially on raising cec

I’m going to try some of the extended release products this year(polyon type). Figure a better/longer slow release would hold it in root zone vs a low cec soil.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The use of Humic is specifically for the soil. We have mostly sand down here. My zoysia property is just muck , and the problems are completely soil related. I ran a triple shot of micros w/ Humic in Jan and when the guys took the grass down in early March I had green grass, 2 months earlier than I did last year. Another round of Humic in March/April popped it again, not perfect by any means but a huge improvement over last year. Dollar spot is at a minimum this year, as opposed to last year. My lovely but lacking in experience Site one rep, who is doing a paste test for me, noted “ the grass looks hungry “, well duh? For me, the Humic certainly seems to improve the nutrient transfer in the soil. It’s cheap enough to add to the routine mix. About $1 / 1000 depending on who I buy it from. RGS from Green County fert is $.34/1000

·
Registered
9,705 Posts
Ok dumb question because I've never used it.... Is it sprayable or granulated. Had a guy here not a customer show me pics of his lawn and swore all he did was "humic acid" and one fertilizer round. It looked very nice. We are hard clay soil here.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok dumb question because I've never used it.... Is it sprayable or granulated. Had a guy here not a customer show me pics of his lawn and swore all he did was "humic acid" and one fertilizer round. It looked very nice. We are hard clay soil here.
I use a liquid, not sure if it comes granular.
Site One -Carbon Pro L $$$$
FIS - Korban
Ewing - Dura Armor ?
Green County Fert - RGS

It can be a bit of a pain. It does contain solids and needs to be agitated well or it will clog up you machine. I have run this both by Z and just pulling a hose.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So this is about a week after the second Humic/ iron combo on my zoysia property. Plus something a little extra that’s not a factor yet. Still have some work to do , but I am way ahead of where I was last year. The zoysia is green, the kyllinga gives it a bit of a yellow cast. I’ll deal with that later.
Plant Property Tree Shade Flag
Cloud Sky Plant Tree Natural landscape
Sky Cloud Plant Building Nature
Cloud Plant Sky Tree Natural landscape

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What kind of turf are you dealing with up there ?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Spray it, the granular costs too much for me. Anything Andersons is good, but they are proud of their products.

But humics need time, they are a long-term solution, not a short term fix, so I am skeptical that humic did anything from one application, it was probably a good fert he put down. You need to consistently put them down over years and then they really do show results.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Spray it, the granular costs too much for me. Anything Andersons is good, but they are proud of their products.

But humics need time, they are a long-term solution, not a short term fix, so I am skeptical that humic did anything from one application, it was probably a good fert he put down. You need to consistently put them down over years and then they really do show results.
The St Augustine pics were after a mix of Yara 22-0-12 put down granularly, iron and Humic sprayed. The Yara certainly helped because it is a great fert, but that property have never looked that good.

The zoysia, has had 3 treatments of Humic since Jan and 3/4lb of Yara 22-0-12 a month to a month and 1/2 ago. One application of Carbon Pro , last June turned the zoysia from a sickly brown/green to the color you see in the pics, in 2 weeks. It works quicker than you think.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The St Augustine pics were after a mix of Yara 22-0-12 put down granularly, iron and Humic sprayed. The Yara certainly helped because it is a great fert, but that property have never looked that good.

The zoysia, has had 3 treatments of Humic since Jan and 3/4lb of Yara 22-0-12 a month to a month and 1/2 ago. One application of Carbon Pro , last June turned the zoysia from a sickly brown/green to the color you see in the pics, in 2 weeks. It works quicker than you think.
Never has on red Appalachian clay, not on mine. Carbon Pro, Andersons, sprays, etc. Takes a few years to build topsoil into red clay without yearly topdressing.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay, the next round on the zoysia went down today, 5 weeks later. On the last round i experimented, behind this building i usually run 2 passes, it borders a bahia field and the zoysia has crept out over the years. You can clearly see my spray path, my "something special" is kicking in. Still a work in progress but I am months ahead of last year. 3 apps of humic and Iron, I threw in some KPhite today along with Arena and "something special"
Plant Cloud Sky Building Tree
Cloud Plant Property Sky Building
Cloud Sky Plant Tree Natural landscape
Cloud Plant Sky Plant community Tree

Attachments

·
Registered
9,705 Posts
I just found out about a product from BWI called " micro tech" (I think if I remember) with obviously micros, humic acid, iron and more. Cost about $16 an acre. I'm going to add to my next round. My chem dealer showed me pics one of his buyers sent him from where he ran it on his last round the turd color was incredible vs the neighbors.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just found out about a product from BWI called " micro tech" (I think if I remember) with obviously micros, humic acid, iron and more. Cost about $16 an acre. I'm going to add to my next round. My chem dealer showed me pics one of his buyers sent him from where he ran it on his last round the turd color was incredible vs the neighbors.
Let us know how that turns out. I ran a combo product like that in Jan and I’ll do it again later this summer.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Never has on red Appalachian clay, not on mine. Carbon Pro, Andersons, sprays, etc. Takes a few years to build topsoil into red clay without yearly topdressing.
Keep an eye on the zoysia property, I’ll take some more pics before the next round. I dealt with North Georgia clay for years until I found a product that really worked well on zoysia and fescue. If the product works for me down here as it has done in the past , I’ll pass the info along.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts