Hunter ACC ID Wire

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Nov 22, 2006.

  1. jcom

    jcom LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 791

    I have not used a Hunter ACC and I am trying to learn more about them as I think I will need one next season.

    The controller uses what they call ID Wire. Is there anything special about this wire? Looks like solid copper two conductor cable. Must the ACC have this specific cable or will stranded cable work as well?

    Thanks for the help,


    Have a great Thanksgiving.
  2. PurpHaze

    PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,496

    According to the manual it appears that the ID wire is used solely in concert with the Decoder Module (if installed) and is used for a 2-wire path decoder method of valve control. The normal terminals on the modules will accept AWG 22 to AWG 12 gauge wire for normal multi-wire control operations.

    You can download the owner's manual here:
  3. Dirty Water

    Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,794

    I'd venture that good ol 14 guage UF would work fine too.
  4. Beartooth

    Beartooth LawnSite Member
    Messages: 209

    The wire Hunter specs for their decoders and the ACC is a specially "twisted" wire which kind of resembles a double helix from a strand of DNA. I think the engineers at Hunter actually have marketing degrees!
  5. Dirty Water

    Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,794

    Or they took a look at their phone lines:


    Apparently, twisted cable is superior in communications because it helps prevent crosstalk and noise, since the ACC system uses a digital signal, using the twisted cable probably allows for longer runs without signal degradation.

    So, if you do use regular 14 gauge UF, I'd recommend keeping the two wires on separate sides of the trench.
  6. PurpHaze

    PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,496

    Here's a thought... do it the way they recommend and you might encounter fewer problems. :laugh:

Share This Page