Well...... here's what we found out. Some will laugh, others will cry. I was on the phone with Hunter tech support, butting up to their time to quit, 4 pm pac. time. They had me hit the reset on the face of the controller, nothing. They had me pull the fuse, then pull the decoder module. Didn't smell burned, contacts all looked new. I went to put the fuse back in, nothing. No power, nothing. I only have keys to the irrigation controls, no keys for buildings, etc. Went back over this morning, no power to the controller, showed the head custodian. We reset the breaker that whomever kicked off last week, still no power. Traced power lines to an electrical panel near the clock, the irrigation controller is plugged into a GFI outlet. Reset the outlet, plugged the controller in, controller works. I have a green light for line activity, and so far everything is working. I have it set to run through all of the zones and will go back and check it tomorrow morning, make sure everything checks out. If I have a bad decoder, it should trip this afternoon. I'm crossing my fingers that it was just screwed up when whomever shut off the breaker.