1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hunter at Home Depot

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by irrig8r, Jul 5, 2010.

1. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Nothing cures a case of hippie hopefulness faster than reading a post on politics by Peter first thing in the morning :laugh:

2. FIMCO-MEISTER

FIMCO-MEISTER Banned

3. irrig8r

I think that's a bit unfair Dan. They went out and bought the original MP Rotator. Rain Bird responded with a (slightly) inferior imitation.

When manufacturers compete as much as Rain Bird/ Hunter/ Toro, I think we often (not always) benefit from those tweaks that come with imitations that end up being real improvements.

4. irrig8r

That was kind of my reaction. I didn't take photos, but I will show those posted to the local Ewing manager... not that it will make much difference of course.

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I think list price on the MPs is $9.25, and I just charge $9.00 for 24 of them at one house. But now when they see the $4.98 price, they are going to scream. Haven't used much Hunter lately anyway. I think 1-2 cases of PGPs max, and only when it is a PGP system already. A few replacement diaphragms, and those MPs.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

fifteen bucks for a rotator payup

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I would have normally charged more than $9, but I did a bunch of other work for him and still made some good coin.

8. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

home depot gives me the heebeejeebees

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

When I go into HD, I always look around in my truck for a spare shirt to wear over my company shirt. I don't want customers in there thinking I shop for parts there (I don't except for the occasional odd ball part or copper pipe and fittings), and I don't want them asking me questions either. Had it happen once and I now try to avoid it.

10. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Silver Member

Actually... no... Rain Bird introduced their rotary nozzle and then Hunter went and bought MP Rotator.