Hunter Hydrawise overcurrent message

Discussion in 'Zone Talk' started by Optimal Irrigation Corp., Oct 27, 2019.

1. Optimal Irrigation Corp.

Optimal Irrigation Corp. LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

I've been having some issues with my Hydrawise controllers (Pro HC in all instances) concerning zones stopping prematurely due to overcurrent. It appears to be happening on zones where there are three valves in operation (1 master valve, 2 zone valves) in all situations the zone valves are new Hunter valves (PGV 100G) and the master valves are Buckner (I measured the resistance / continuity on both the buckner and hunter and they fall in the same range) the wire size in all instances is 20 gauge 12 lead. Was hoping someone could shed some light on what I'm doing wrong or what is causing the overcurrent. In some of these situations, the Pro HC has upgraded a previous X-Core timer that was handling the load without overcurrent. Thank you.

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Your master valve is being initiated a few nanoseconds before your zone valves to prevent inrush issues so I’d tend to believe you’re clear there.

In regards to your ganged valves, they’re wired in parallel so the resistance is 1/2 of normal resistance which doubles the current load to around 400 something milliamps.

That’s fine too because each of the solenoids is pulling 1/2 the milliamperes of the total load or the equivalent of around 200 some milliamperes.

If you don’t believe me or don’t understand, grab a milliamp clamp and test the wires at the clock, before and after the solenoid wiring.

The clock itself doesn’t dictate the amount of power delivered to any of the field components, ohms law does.

As far as the pro hc goes, maybe it’s to sensitive or sophisticated to simply gang a few valves and run the mv without “seeing an overcurrent”. I’d harken the x-core is much less sensitive and sophisticated so the higher load is never recognized.

3. OP
    OP
    Optimal Irrigation Corp.

from Ontario

I believe you and understand. The strange thing about the zones in question is that they sometimes stop due to overcurrent and sometimes they don't. Here are a few screenshots....

Screenshot_20191027-193049_Hydrawise.jpg

Screenshot_20191027-185732_Hydrawise.jpg

4. OP
    OP
    Optimal Irrigation Corp.

from Ontario

Also, the above solenoid load, which is within the threshold caused an overcurrent alert...

Screenshot_20191027-195832_Hydrawise.jpg

5. Hunter Tech

Hunter Tech Sponsor

The Pro-HC station outputs are rated at 0.56A and the master valve is rated at 0.28A. While you probably can run 2 Hunter valves on one station output, the Buckner Master Valve may be causing the over-current. Do you know the specs on the Buckner solenoid? Can you run one Hunter valve and the master valve successfully?

6. OP
    OP
    Optimal Irrigation Corp.

from Ontario

Don't know the specs on the buckner exactly, but the solenoid has the same ohm range as the hunter one. I can successfully run one hunter valve and the master valve. Only happens when I try to run two hunter valves and the master.

7. OP
    OP
    Optimal Irrigation Corp.

from Ontario

Couldn't find the exact valve on there Buckner/ superior site (www.bucknersuperior.com) but I found the following... looks like FAQ #3 shows the solenoid amps rating (I'm assuming it's the same solenoid on the valves I'm using, it looks the same) and FAQ #4 might solve my problem. I'll give my local SiteOne a call tomorrow to see if I can get in a solenoid with the lower amps. Still doesn't explain why this only happens on systems with 2 hunter valves and the master valve running at the same time. Shouldn't it happen on all of them?

Screenshot_20191030-000657_Drive.jpg

8. Hunter Tech

Hunter Tech Sponsor

With the master valve you have and the two Hunter valves running from one station output, the controller can not provide the power to run all three valves. If you can get a lower amperage draw solenoid that may help stop the overload message. The ideal solution would be not to try to run two stations from one terminal on the controller

9. OP
    OP
    Optimal Irrigation Corp.

from Ontario

Don't know if you work at Hunter or not, but this is the literature from the Hydrawise app. As a contractor, I am relying on the literature on the app to gauge the design of the system based on what the manufacturer says the controller can do. Hunter is saying it can support two valves plus a master on each zone. It wouldn't work if I was using a hunter valve as the master. (Paragraph #3)

Screenshot_20191030-134622_Hydrawise.jpg

10. Hunter Tech

Hunter Tech Sponsor

I am from Tech Support at Hunter.
    The Pro-HC can have 2 station on the same terminal, but the master valve terminal is rated at 0.28A. Your solenoid is a much higher draw solenoid. This is why the controller has the over-current message. The combined amperage draw is more than than the Pro-HC controller can provide. The HCC controller has a higher output master valve terminal (0.56A)