1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Hunter ICC 800

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JuddGA, May 28, 2008.

1. JuddGA

JuddGA LawnSite Member
    from GA

I know this forum is for the industry but I need some help. I cant have a service guy out and I need to fix this thing myself. It seems like I lost my controller in a lightning storm among some other things. But it doesnt have the type of damage that I saw in another post where everything was fried. I had a DSL filter go bad, my garge door opener stopped and the controller all went bad at the same time so it had to be the storm.

I tested the transformer and its putting out 29 volts so I think its OK. It should be 25 but I think 29 would be in range. So this means the controller itself is bad?

Question is, can I just buy a new unit, take the door and controller off and put it on the old one?

I took a close look at the controller and there seems to be no damage to it. Nothing fried, no burnt areas on the board. There is a smaller board right under the rain sensor switch that has three wires coming off it. 2 are soldered to the main board, the 3rd wire is not connected to the main board. I think these are power wires and one became unsoldered/broke. Anyone have an old one they can take a pic of so I can see where this is supposed to go?

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

There are some Hunter pros on the forum & hopefully, they'll log on. Are you measuring
    the output off the zone terminal strips? If so, the clock is working, or do you have a blank
    screen? What color is the wire that's loose? Have you removed the battery & disconnected
    the power for a while? Is there a inline fuse in that clock? Clocks should have their own dedicated
    power source. Good luck, don't buy a fresh one until the guys respond.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Reboot the controller, if you aren't seeing any power at the zone terminals. Download the ICC manual and read it through. Just remember that lightning doesn't have to fry a controller to end its existence, so don't be surprised if you now own a doorstop.

4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm a hunter man, what's happening or what's not happening? also w/ an icc things might be fried but you won't notice it unless you looking inside the modules. You can however usually take them out and give them a sniff, if they smell burnt they probably are. You unfortunately could still have a host of problems, seeing you have an ICC clock you probably have several zones and there's a good change some of you're valves and god forbid wiring is fried as well. After a lighting strike there is usually a good deal of damage, and I'd recommend having a pro come out. You're insurance company WILL cover this.

5. Mike Leary

Nothing like the smell of a fried clock in the morning.

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Does your display say anything , or is it blank? If its works , turn a zone on and test the output at the screw for that zone.

7. Mike Leary

Looking for extra posts? Someone already asked that question. :hammerhead:

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

guy finally gets an avatar and he thinks he's all that

9. Mike Leary

Go listen to some Fred Neil records.

10. Mike Leary

Time to listen to your Fred Neil records.