Hunter ICC Problem

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jbell36, Apr 14, 2017.

1. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

Had a call from a customer that their controller was malfunctioning. So we look at the clock and see that it's doing some weird stuff. In the "off" or "run" position it sporadically flashes "err." Did some testing and found that everything was testing out just fine. Then our tech said that it runs fine when the remote is plugged in and the ERR stops flashing, then goes crazy when the remote receiver is unhooked from the smart port. So I figured it had something to do strictly with the remote port, which I was right about, when the blue wire for the "rem" terminal is unplugged from the terminal everything works fine, but when it's plugged in it goes haywire. We tried completely unhooking the remote port but it didn't change anything. Anyone have experience with the same or similar situation with the ICC, or tell me what might be going on? I know sometimes there's no explanation for why clocks are doing what they're doing, but figured I would ask. Thought about replacing the master module but we are out of those and i think they have been discontinued (ICC as well as parts for the ICC).

2. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Ark

I know you've probably done this but unplug for power and disconnect ribbon strip from faceplate, unlock modules and slide in/out. Reconnect

3. Srlance31

Srlance31 LawnSite Senior Member

They have actually brought the ICC back. Called ICC2. I know the zone modules are backwards compatible but I don't know if the power modules are.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

How long is the remote cable?

5. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

Yes, I did disconnect the power for a couple of minutes. I also did a full reset on the back of the faceplate. Unplugged the battery. Unplugged the ribbon. However, I did not disconnect the modules. The remote port is a typical 8 footer or whatever the standard size is. I connected a brand new remote port and had the exact same issues, so it's not the actual remote port itself. I know the original ICC had issues, especially longevity issues, which is why it was discontinued, so I'm assuming this is just one of those problems that doesn't have an exact solution, other than replacement. Too bad, I really liked that controller, very simple. I have heard about the ICC2, excited to use it.

6. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

7. Srlance31

Srlance31 LawnSite Senior Member

They came out with the ACC2 recently and from what I can tell it doesn't have too many differences to the ACC except that the 2 can run 14 zones at a time and doesn't have ability for 2 wire. I'm glad for the ICC coming back but why bother with the ACC2?

Simple is better. The ICC with 2 wire capable up to 100 zones would be awesome!

jbell36 likes this.
  8. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

Looks like Underhill still has their 2-wire system that works with the old ICC controllers. I wonder if it will work with the new ones?

9. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Silver Member

The problem with the controller is in the title of this thread.... "Hunter ICC". :laugh:

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You might have a remote cable that is too long. These cables were originally much shorter than they are today, which suggests that older controllers were more sensitive to interference.