Hunter PGV help needed

AI Inc

LawnSite Fanatic
yes, PGV jar top, no flow control

have excellent pressure, don't really think there's debris, when I took them apart, didn't see any. Feeds house as well, but, there's no filter on it either, so something to consider.
Probably the worst valve ever made , and Im a hunter guy

RhettMan

LawnSite Gold Member
Iv been heavy user of the PGV for years now,

i didn't know they had a PGV "jar top",( or why they didnt use a different acronym, no point in have two separate valve models both referred to as PGV)

Though i see others are doing it as well.

irritation

LawnSite Platinum Member
I think the PGV jar top uses the same diaphragm as the standard PGV.
I have hated jar top valves since the Toro Flo-Pro. I was a service tech for a company that installed Toro only in the 80's and early 90's. Talk about a nightmare!

OP
D

Dirt Boy

LawnSite Senior Member
Well, here's a couple of pic's.

Cleaned them all, and still didn't help any, so they are getting ripped out an replaced.

Attachments

• IMG_2981.jpg
    IMG_2981.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2983.jpg
    IMG_2983.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 27

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
When you say not closing, do you mean staying on wide open or seeping ?

Is that buildup soft or hard ?

OP
D

Dirt Boy

LawnSite Senior Member
buildup is soft, but don't just wash off either, have to wipe/scrub it off.
I'm not real sure if they are wide open or not, there was 2 valves out of 7 that had pictured kind of buildup, others were not as bad, but still had some.
They still really wouldn't totally shut off, somewhat hard to say since water supply is inadequate to supply both.
Mainly 2 valves that wouldn't completely shut off.

OP
D

Dirt Boy

LawnSite Senior Member
Kinda wondering if a filter on the water supply would help, or just get plugged up as well. Looked at RB PEB's, - kinda pricey to say the least.
Seems rather strange that system has worked for several years, and now is having issues.
Hate to replace valves, and have the same issue. Not that I have any love for the Hunter PGV valves.

Kinda wondering if a filter on the water supply would help, or just get plugged up as well. Looked at RB PEB's, - kinda pricey to say the least.
Seems rather strange that system has worked for several years, and now is having issues.
Hate to replace valves, and have the same issue. Not that I have any love for the Hunter PGV valves.
Probably took years for that to build up.

Jcdaniel

LawnSite Member
Before I replaced them all or even if I did replace them all I’d add a filter off the well. Had a system few weeks ago with similar problem installed a 1” vu-flow filter plumbed to a battery operated scrubber valve to flush twice a week. Fixed the problem. Also have quite a few systems with the same well filters that get by only having to be flushed once a year.

Top Forums