Hurricane all next week.

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by williams lcm, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

Dorian's slow movement is definitely going to make for a major rain event. I'll bet flood damage vastly out-numbers wind damage with this storm. Even though I'm relatively close to Florida (in the ATL), I'll likely see no rain from this one, but MAN...do we need the rain badly.

Cam15 and sjessen like this.
  2. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Really!!

So, you didn't get any rain in the last week or so?

Thought is was pretty general in nature. Guess not.

Cam15 likes this.
  3. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

It's a Cat 4 right now.

Cam15, MNLawns and sjessen like this.
  4. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

There are still some roofs with tarps, or the remains of them. I have 10 more pines in the yard that have died and need to come down. Lots of widow makers still in the live trees. People are still not back in their homes. Some will never return to their previous home.
    The town has been functioning normally for at least 6 months.
    The bit about the ice is after a hurricane you have a very tropical air mass. Night temps in the 80s, days in the 90s. No ac until the power is restored. Working in those temps and then not sleeping at night gets old QUICK. I remember calling the house after Floyd hoping the answering machine picked up which meant the power was back on. Took about 10 days to get it back. Also if the power outage is large municipal water towers empty in about 2 days. Takes about a week for fuel supplies to recover 50%. Stations that are open ration the fuel. Kinda like being on Gilligan's Island with 100,000 other people and 1 coconut palm.

5. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Gold Member

Hurricanes and tropical storms are the #1 reason i don't live anywhere near the coast anymore. I've cleaned up after 3 hurricanes and about 15 big tropical storms and it always stink's, big time. Mandatory evacuations, no power, no gas, no etc. ... there is no upside. It's just a giant mess and a massive cluster. If you live at the coast, my hats off to you. The beach is a great place to be, but not for me anymore.

Mumblingboutmowers and sjessen like this.
  6. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

The beach is a great place........to visit.:nod:

Cam15, RussellB, GrassManKzoo and 2 others like this.
  7. MNLawns

MNLawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from MN

Amen

Cam15, Burnie and sjessen like this.
  8. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

We only dream of the beach don't we?:dancing:

Cam15 and MNLawns like this.
  9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

A slow moving storm usually looses a lot of punch before it moves ashore. Now if you see one coming at you like Michael, Andrew, Hugo-- 130 mph+...then its time to kiss your hiney and belongings goodbye. Yea slow movers mainly flood you out and blow down some trees--which can kill too. You hear the same thing every time a Hurricane heads toward land. "I survived other storms, I can survive this one". "Oh it always misses us". "They always get the forecast wrong". "I am going to ride it out and party" "Got to die sometime!"
    The comes the inevitable: "I will never ever do that again"." I am leaving next time! "I am lucky to be alive!":dizzy::rolleyes: It just the the 100, 500, 1000 year storms don't fit the mold of your average Hurricane. New Generation comes along that has never has experienced one of those type storms . Don't seem to relate to what has happened to other areas. I am already hearing it from Floridians on the news

Valk likes this.
  10. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Gold Member

Yep. The only people throwing "hurricane party's" are idiots who have never been through a hurricane before. And you'll notice that they only do this once.

dKoester, Charles and sjessen like this.