1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hurricane Debris Removal

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Grant1, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Grant1

Grant1 LawnSite Member

Has anyone on this site done any hurricane debris removal for FEMA or other insurance agencies. Can anyone tell me what is the right direction to proceed to get into this area.

2. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

Here the city and county hired contractors directly and FEMA will pick up part of the tab.

3. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

You’ll end up working for a contractor who has been awarded the job by the prime contractor.

The prime contractor is typically a very large company that is into civil construction or something of that nature.

I’ve been down this road though and unless you’ve got a large grapple truck your not making much money per load because of getting paid by the yard.

But if you want to get on, just stop one of them and start asking questions. Make sure there are as few companies between you and the prime as possible. You’re More likely to get your money this way, also less people skimming off the top so you’ll make more.

There is money to be made in storm work, you just have to know how to play the game

hort101 likes this.
  4. Grant1

Grant1 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info

5. PremierLandscapeForsyth

PremierLandscapeForsyth LawnSite Member
    from U.S.A

Just got back from Mexico Beach Florida … the amount of tree and debris needed to removed is incomprehensible … you almost have to go to see for yourself … they already have contracts in place before a natural disaster hits and a company will be starting debris removal either today or tomorrow … it will take at least a year to remove the debris alone 100s of millions of dollars. It's very different than I thought. I didn't work for FEMA but did go down with @Cedar Knoll Lawn Care and brought a trailer of supplies and We worked with the East Manatee Fire Department and helped remove trees and supply food to victims.

hort101 likes this.
  6. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Please feel free to pm me if you have any more questions. I have a contact in ga. Not sure where your located or how willing to travel.

7. AWilsonCreativeServices

AWilsonCreativeServices LawnSite Senior Member

As Junior M said, the higher up the proverbial food chain you are, the better money you will make. I know there are certain amounts of equipment that bump you up a contractor category (ex: my tree guy is down in the panhandle and has 2 bucket trucks and 2 grapple trucks, so he's one step closer to the prime contractor than someone with 1 of each). Another friend of mine who does dirt work has decided this week to go down there with a backhoe, skidsteer, and bulldozer. He's playing catch-up and working every contact he has to get something put together. Think the optimal time to get details and a contract hammered out is before a disaster, then you can jump in and go to work. If you're diving in after the storm cleanup has started, you might find yourself working for both FEMA-type contracts and/or private work to get the $$ you need. It takes a while to get paid on a lot of the larger contracts, and you need to have your commercial liability and worker's comp and payroll all nice and perfect and pretty to work for the big guys.

hort101 likes this.
  8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

You can work directly fit homeowners as well, whose insurance companies are reimbursed partially by fema too

FEMA doesn’t directly contract everything that goes on during storm debris removal operations

9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I imagine someone with a dump truck or a logging truck . A skid steer with a grappler would make really good money. Not sure where they will haul all this debris. The logs should be usable? Then there is pine mulch. The rest limbs and trash. All that insulation has to go somewhere. Equipment heaven. Good time of year since things have slowed down. All these hurricanes will cost a lot of jobs and create a lot of jobs. Many businesses done for.

10. Grant1

Grant1 LawnSite Member

I went to Mexico Beach and the National Guard was only letting prime contractors and residents with proof of address in. The line to get into Mexico beach was at least an hour wait. Landfill approx. 5 miles from beach. Looked like tandem 100 yd trucks the only ones hauling debris. Did not see any smaller dump trailers working

Charles likes this.