Hurricane mulching kit

Billthelawnman

LawnSite Member
So. Over the last 15 years we have always done leaves in the fall with our mulching blades and chute blocker. Most of the grass we mow is cool season. We have never had problems cleaning up leaves. Most of our yards have average amount of trees for fall clean up. Maybe 4/5 maples and oaks. Nothing crazy. Some of course are tree lines to the wazoo.. but nothing crazy. We never bag them it’s never been an issue. This year I have added 2 commercial properties that are alike. One is 5 acres with an abundance of maple trees.. another is 3.5 acres with trees everywhere.. probably 4 times the amount of trees than the 5 acres property. like every where. Not crazy about mulching kits. Based on our dealer saying it’s not common in our area. Suck as maybe northern states. However when considering the amount of trees this year my question is this. Do you guys mow with kit on also. Let me clarify. Do u have clumping issues when mowing with the kit on if ur nowtcleaning leave.
Typically we just mow the lawn then clean the leaves. or pretty much we just keep mowing until the leaves are gone. With cool season grasses growing in the fall will I be spending more time making a mess with the grass than cleaning up leaves on yards with no leaves? Do you mow it higher to off set the mulching kit? . I’m so tight with money I don’t even want to buy the kits! Lol! But just seeing if I’m mowing on yards without leaves if I should expect different results. We obviously use our chute blockers a ton now. Around landscaping beds.. parking lots.. lead clean up and all that jazz. And of course we have to go back over some of those areas. It’s not bothersome. It beats the crap out of blowing the grass out of the beds. Just looking for feed back regarding mowing cool season grasses in the fall with a mulching kit and also leaf clean up. Appreciate it!
I run two mowers, both Snapper Pro with the big block motors, so plenty of hp. My 48 walk behind with a sully, has the mulching kit on it, however on some of my heavier tree properties I will run my 61 wide open the first time around to knock down the leaf piles then my 48 does the cleanup portion of the job. I have the 61 set in 3.25 to actually cut the grass and the 48 is on 3.75 as the higher setting gives it much more vacum......61 is way too much deck for a mulching kit....been at this game for 25 years, it comes down to this, you need a 48" deck to do your finish work, and a 61 to do the rough cutting and initial mulching.....I'm in a northern climate (upstate NY) ....good luck.......

DMT29

LawnSite Fanatic
Great, now I won't put one on my 61. Thanks :) . BTW, where are you upstate? I'm up here too.

Bassyarddog

LawnSite Member
We run full mulch kits on 61” turf tigers and walkbehinds in the fall but we use regular medium lift blades with longer fins. The blades that come with mulch kit do not give you enough lift. The mulch kits work really good on dry leaves and do a good job on wet leaves ,real thick piles 2’ + piles where you would blow beds out require 2 passes but leaves are totally gone. Also you need to be able to mulch on good grass bare ground will mulch but you will see leaf residue. It saves us a lot of time.

rdfenn3

LawnSite Member
So. Over the last 15 years we have always done leaves in the fall with our mulching blades and chute blocker. Most of the grass we mow is cool season. We have never had problems cleaning up leaves. Most of our yards have average amount of trees for fall clean up. Maybe 4/5 maples and oaks. Nothing crazy. Some of course are tree lines to the wazoo.. but nothing crazy. We never bag them it’s never been an issue. This year I have added 2 commercial properties that are alike. One is 5 acres with an abundance of maple trees.. another is 3.5 acres with trees everywhere.. probably 4 times the amount of trees than the 5 acres property. like every where. Not crazy about mulching kits. Based on our dealer saying it’s not common in our area. Suck as maybe northern states. However when considering the amount of trees this year my question is this. Do you guys mow with kit on also. Let me clarify. Do u have clumping issues when mowing with the kit on if ur nowtcleaning leave.
Typically we just mow the lawn then clean the leaves. or pretty much we just keep mowing until the leaves are gone. With cool season grasses growing in the fall will I be spending more time making a mess with the grass than cleaning up leaves on yards with no leaves? Do you mow it higher to off set the mulching kit? . I’m so tight with money I don’t even want to buy the kits! Lol! But just seeing if I’m mowing on yards without leaves if I should expect different results. We obviously use our chute blockers a ton now. Around landscaping beds.. parking lots.. lead clean up and all that jazz. And of course we have to go back over some of those areas. It’s not bothersome. It beats the crap out of blowing the grass out of the beds. Just looking for feed back regarding mowing cool season grasses in the fall with a mulching kit and also leaf clean up. Appreciate it!
I use the hurricane on my v-ride. Usually I'll try to blow 75 percent of leaves off the lawn than mulch the rest when they start to fall. I can usually get everything mulched on the first cut. If not I'll double cut. Once all the leaves are down I blow out the beds and about 90 percent of everything on the lawn. On big lawns I make piles and either tarp or I'll push piles to the street.

caseysmowing

LawnSite Silver Member
I have the kits for my 48 and 61 scag. They do very will on mulching leaves but the QOC goes down with it. They also don't do well when taking off 4inches of thick grass. I've put them on too early and paid for it and I've put them on too late and only got 1 to 2 cuts with them. So now I just run doubles and leave one mulch kit on the 61in stander in case there is a lot of leaves. By no means does running doubles replace a full mulch kit.

kbik

LawnSite Member
I have mulched 98% of the time for the last 20 years . The Hurricane is the worst "kit" I have ever used on a 36 . Leaves a trail , dumps when turning , dumps backing up, you can not have "dead area" in a mulch kit.
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have to agree. I had a Gravely and a Kubota that mulched fine, but my big fancy Cheetah II with the fancy Velocity deck and mulch kit leave a trail on every other row... and like you said, if you back up, it dumps in front of you. WTH. I would trade this mower for another in a heartbeat. I can't put on the chute because dang bermuda clippings make me itch to no end.

Top Forums