Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent hours researching and attempting to reverse my Ryobi powerhead but it was too heavily sensored and optimized for uni direction so I put it back together and set my crosshairs on the Ego. I really wanted the Ryobi to reverse because the extremely precise throttle control but that same control prevented me from achieving my goal.

The Ryobi has a hall’s sensor setup while the Ego is sensor less which makes it super easy but it doesn’t have the control I’ve become accustomed to, alas. Electrical theory states that basically and non sensored motor can be reversed by switching two of the three main phase wires and it held true for the Ego electronics, sweet. I now have a straight shaft trimmer with clockwise rotation from the operator perspective 💪🏼💪🏼

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Wheel

Hurryup electric removes himself from any liability or damage to powerheads or any electrical devices caused by following my amateur modifications. This will definitely void any warranty, for entertainment purposes only.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
funny that reply included where I started to defend my trimming technique lol. Grassman asked me at one point to compare the Ryobi and Ego since I like my Ryobi so much. I’m gonna do it with a 18” swath on each in some tough stuff on a vacant lot near my house. They’re both pretty strong in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
43,279 Posts
funny that reply included where I started to defend my trimming technique lol. Grassman asked me at one point to compare the Ryobi and Ego since I like my Ryobi so much. I’m gonna do it with a 18” swath on each in some tough stuff on a vacant lot near my house. They’re both pretty strong in my opinion.
What is the battery life in tough going?

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, so how about on average properties. 15 minutes? 30? I had an Echo 58v and it lasted 4 lawns.
Ryobi powerhead with 4ah pack will edge and trim 3-4 basic 1/4 acre properties but I rarely squeeze more than 2/3 l’s out of a battery unless I’m intentionally putting them through a full cycle. It’s possible that running a lithium battery all the way down once and a while keeps the individual cells better balanced but I’m not 100% certain on that.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, so how about on average properties. 15 minutes? 30? I had an Echo 58v and it lasted 4 lawns.
See, this is all relative to the operator and situation. When I was getting started I trimmed and edged with as light a finger as possible to stretch the battery. Now that I’m well equipped for electric I’m romping around on the edger and definitely could use less power to trim.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice project, maybe you can start a left hand trimmer upfit business.
What I’ve learned from this short study in brushless motor and electric speed control configurations is that many of these units can be modified, as mine will be very soon, with a polarity reverse switch for dual direction operation. It’s really as simple as adding the proper switch with the right jumpers in the right configuration. I’ll tell you what though, get a heavily sensored motor like my Ryobi and go get out the multi meter and cross off two days off your schedule to test each of the 36 possible configurations of sensor wires and phase wires.

Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Gas Wood

1 - 20 of 64 Posts