Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
@Hurryupelectric

Good job.

I truely hope everyone else here understands that these battery electric trimmers are intended for weekly or bi-weekly lawn maintenence.

These battery trimmers were never engineered for brush hog trimming. If one decides to purchase a battery trimmer at the moment and thinks it will do savage trimming of tall, thick, woody, overgrown or what have you rough trimming, youbhave made a mistake. Use the tool for what it was intended to do. Regular lawn maintenence trimming.

We only use battery line trimmers for weekly lawns. They are superb for that function. In our opinion they are already far superior to gas trimmers for doing weekly lawns.

PS: you need to work on your trimming posture. Get a harness or a darwins grip. Obviously we prefer the harness. Much more conducive to standing upright and trimming all day.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
What I’ve learned from this short study in brushless motor and electric speed control configurations is that many of these units can be modified, as mine will be very soon, with a polarity reverse switch for dual direction operation. It’s really as simple as adding the proper switch with the right jumpers in the right configuration. I’ll tell you what though, get a heavily sensored motor like my Ryobi and go get out the multi meter and cross off two days off your schedule to test each of the 36 possible configurations of sensor wires and phase wires.

View attachment 511363
It helps to have some sort of electrical training. When I got my education in electrical technology the teachers were all old radio guys and we were usung tubes. my experiance with computer chips was limited to the Zilog 8080.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Good job.
Thanks, I’ve been digging pretty deep into brushless motor electric theory and bothering engineers on an electric forum lol. If you didn’t notice, I tried super hard to make my Ryobi bi-directional but the electronics were much more complex and very optimized for the specific rotation direction from the factory. I was prepared to reroute the hall sensor wires to correspond with the changed phase wiring but I was advised that there’s even more going on in the Ryobi system preventing one from just meticulously reversing every wire. The ego is a more like a carbureted engine compared to a efi system lol.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It helps to have some sort of electrical training. When I got my education in electrical technology the teachers were all old radio guys and we were usung tubes. my experiance with computer chips was limited to the Zilog 8080.
I’ve definitely crash coursed myself in brushless motors over the last month.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I spent hours researching and attempting to reverse my Ryobi powerhead but it was too heavily sensored and optimized for uni direction so I put it back together and set my crosshairs on the Ego. I really wanted the Ryobi to reverse because the extremely precise throttle control but that same control prevented me from achieving my goal.

The Ryobi has a hall’s sensor setup while the Ego is sensor less which makes it super easy but it doesn’t have the control I’ve become accustomed to, alas. Electrical theory states that basically and non sensored motor can be reversed by switching two of the three main phase wires and it held true for the Ego electronics, sweet. I now have a straight shaft trimmer with clockwise rotation from the operator perspective 💪🏼💪🏼

View attachment 511319

Hurryup electric removes himself from any liability or damage to powerheads or any electrical devices caused by following my amateur modifications. This will definitely void any warranty, for entertainment purposes only.
That’s the trimmer I use. Started out as a backup to my gas stihl trimmer. But I always found myself reaching for the battery operated stuff. Same goes for my blower. Just can’t beat the convenience.

·
Premium Member
8,856 Posts
Ok, so how about on average properties. 15 minutes? 30? I had an Echo 58v and it lasted 4 lawns.
This ^^^ is why I'm going to remain on the sidelines for quite a while on battery op equipment. But neat thread. When you reach perpetual motion with your rebuild please post LoL. Seriously good job on the work.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
used the Ego all day today to string trim and it was a breath of fresh air having a straight shaft spinning how I like. I rarely had to use much of the power to trim my accounts, when I did it was more of a flexing in the mirror kind of thing. There’s more benefits to having a dual direction trimmer than just being left handed. There’s always some spots that it’s helpful to be able to direct which way the debris go. I edged a tiny bit like I usually do with a string trimmer on back patios and such and I liked being able to choose which way it spun. The switch I installed is smooth and definitely one of the more useful mods I’ve done so far. I haggled a guy on Facebook marketplace down to $120 for a Kobalt 80v (Greenworks 80v in blue plastic) powerhead/generic attachment trimmer just to see what I can do with it and if it’s leaps and bounds stronger then my Ryobi. I’m dying for a generic attachment powerhead with electronics I can mod and use a 34” trimmer attachment and my generic edger attachment that I prefer. Can’t stop tinkering…

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
You do realize that you have lowered yourself to BELOW "not a pro" now in the eyes of the holy LawnSite, right?

LOL

That's awesome. Glad it worked out!
Most geniuses throughout history were ridiculed but I’ll go down in lawnsite history as a street legend for my innovations 😎

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I couldn’t control myself and dug right in. While sensors (probably hall) are very good to see from a performance standpoint, it’s now a flip of the coin weather it can be futzed with and made dual directional. This is a Kobalt 80v which is made by Greenworks and I feel the internal fit and finish is quality.

Light Gesture Tool Cable Electric blue

Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Machine

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
So as I descend deeper and deeper into the theory of electric motor operation I’m finding interesting tidbits here and there that might be shedding some light on the Ego performing poorer in my hands then the Ryobi. If we remember how I modified the Ego only as a last resort to the Ryobi being much more complex in nature, that the Ryobi was intricately sensored while the Ego’s motor position was tracked by a much simpler reverse emf reading through one of the three phases as the motor spun. Problem here is one of the three phases has to be sensing and does not contribute force to the movement while sensored motors have all three constantly activated in varying strengths and timing. The major downside to this rather cheap and simple system is reduced torque and maximum speed. This sheds light on the my dislike of using the edger attachment on the ego because it didn’t have the speed of the Ryobi. All day yesterday I string trimmed with the ego and edged with the Ryobi.

While it doesn’t say, this illustration is the advantages of a Hall effect sensored motor over the non sensored motor.

Product Rectangle Font Slope Parallel

here’s a long winded very dry explanation of brushless motor control systems lol

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
You are also giving up the goods on why Ego stuff probably isn't worth the high mid to high prices.

It is kind of like Makita vs Festool vs Mafell. The Makita and Mafell products are much more worth their value and pricing over Festool. Yet Festool costs as much as Mafell but is engineered a smidgen below Makita. Mafell at the top. I have mutiple tools from all 3 of them but Makita and Mafell are better engineered, more skookum built plus better electronics. It is what it is.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
@Hurryupelectric

It is never to late to go grab a mechanical, electro, systems engineering degree from somewhere and stay off yards. You may be talking/learning yourself right out of the labor side of this industry. 👍🤓
I’m through the math and misc prerequisites at the local two year college. The very next classes will be the actual electrical engineering technician courses. I evaluate every now and then what direction I’m heading and if it’s a realistically happy path. I can always scale up or down my operation to accommodate finishing school. I can see myself loading down in the January to April semester and then switching back to business owner if I want.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
You are also giving up the goods on why Ego stuff probably isn't worth the high mid to high prices.
It should be interesting to people besides myself some of the cliffs notes I’m providing. I mean I’ve been using Ryobi stuff for three seasons and getting the occasional jokes about it but start digging around the inside and realize it’s actually a fairly well engineered unit.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts