1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Husky or echo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Buckeye71, May 20, 2020.

1. Mownmachine144

Mownmachine144 LawnSite Senior Member

What is the advantage of having no guard?

2. Mownmachine144

Mownmachine144 LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious.

3. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

You can more easily break trimmer before warranty on well worn parts. That an you can bust up your shins, an check oot Obama's care. Just my 2 cents.

4. Valk

Valk LawnSite Gold Member

This is ALWAYS a touchy subject around here. :popcorn:

Running w/o a guard makes the whole business end of your trimmer far more maneuverable as far as getting into tight areas & around obstacles. Its removal also allows for better visibility of what you're doing...in particular for edging, IMPO.

Many like to run more line than the guard would typically allow...while some around here remove the line cutting blade and actually retain the guard, therefore still running a longer line.

Whether running w/ or w/o a guard: ALWAYS wear eye protection.

I'm a guard-off & low RPM kind of guy and am solo. I get 6-8 years of full time use out of a trimmer before I retire it...and I've never had a clutch issue.

5. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

An you cut with back edge of line instead of nipping at the front

6. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Silver Member

AT this point you should be going the master trimmer route and having precut pieces in your toolbox. I keep several ready to go, i use a bit of electircal tape to keep them nice and neat in a round spool. Grab it, pre measured, pre cut, ready to load into the speed feed which is without any question on this planet the easiest and fastest loading trimmer head.

Cut it off? You know they can be removed right?

I'm a guard guy, but I don't have a problem with people not running a guard, i just like to have my trimmer consistant with the same amount of line rather than longer now, shorter now, etc.

Scottdubya83 and Bumpmaster like this.