Husky or echo

Bumpmaster

LawnSite Fanatic
You can more easily break trimmer before warranty on well worn parts. That an you can bust up your shins, an check oot Obama's care. Just my 2 cents.

Valk

LawnSite Gold Member
What is the advantage of having no guard?
This is ALWAYS a touchy subject around here. :popcorn:

Running w/o a guard makes the whole business end of your trimmer far more maneuverable as far as getting into tight areas & around obstacles. Its removal also allows for better visibility of what you're doing...in particular for edging, IMPO.

Many like to run more line than the guard would typically allow...while some around here remove the line cutting blade and actually retain the guard, therefore still running a longer line.

Whether running w/ or w/o a guard: ALWAYS wear eye protection.

I'm a guard-off & low RPM kind of guy and am solo. I get 6-8 years of full time use out of a trimmer before I retire it...and I've never had a clutch issue.

Bumpmaster

LawnSite Fanatic
An you cut with back edge of line instead of nipping at the front

rippinryno

LawnSite Silver Member
on my husqvarna i just went back to the husqvarna head. it takes more time to pull the string off the spool and cut it than it does to wrap it around the spool and put it back on.
AT this point you should be going the master trimmer route and having precut pieces in your toolbox. I keep several ready to go, i use a bit of electircal tape to keep them nice and neat in a round spool. Grab it, pre measured, pre cut, ready to load into the speed feed which is without any question on this planet the easiest and fastest loading trimmer head.

Bought that new Echo had guard on with safety glasses. Still got grass in my eye. Got home an cut it off.
Cut it off? You know they can be removed right?

I'm a guard guy, but I don't have a problem with people not running a guard, i just like to have my trimmer consistant with the same amount of line rather than longer now, shorter now, etc.