Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys! So looking for a edger. Searched already and couldn’t find any posts about these particular two so in a “vs” thought I’d ask. Looking at the Husqvarna 525ECS or the Stihl FC 91 both are around the same price range. I have two Husq weed trimmers that I do like a lot, but wanted to hear any opinions for the edgers. Was hoping to get some input from anyone with experience with either or both. Thank you all!!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
The 2 stroke Husky revs higher so the blade spins faster and will be better for thin grass. The 4 stroke Stihl doesn’t rev as high, but the slower blade speed is fantastic for thick Southern grass.

·
Registered
24,600 Posts
The 2 stroke Husky revs higher so the blade spins faster and will be better for thin grass. The 4 stroke Stihl doesn’t rev as high, but the slower blade speed is fantastic for thick Southern grass.
Where are you getting those specs/facts? All I can find for the 525 ecs is the max power speed. That is not necessarily the blade speed, just where the engine makes it max power. Stihl does give their blade speed as 8100 rpm.

OP- The FC 91 is for regularly maintained edging. The FC96 is the straight shaft version and it is better suited to doing new edging since it has slightly lower blade speed, but more torque from the gearing in the box. I have been edging for years with my FS90 and the straight shaft edger attachment/gearbox. It does pretty nicely for regular edging and is great in the really bad stuff, but that said, if and when I buy another edger, it will be a curved shaft version for the higher bts, and most likely a 2 stroke for the simplicity of it. Between the two you listed, I would chose the Husky.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where are you getting those specs/facts? All I can find for the 525 ecs is the max power speed. That is not necessarily the blade speed, just where the engine makes it max power. Stihl does give their blade speed as 8100 rpm.

OP- The FC 91 is for regularly maintained edging. The FC96 is the straight shaft version and it is better suited to doing new edging since it has slightly lower blade speed, but more torque from the gearing in the box. I have been edging for years with my FS90 and the straight shaft edger attachment/gearbox. It does pretty nicely for regular edging and is great in the really bad stuff, but that said, if and when I buy another edger, it will be a curved shaft version for the higher bts, and most likely a 2 stroke for the simplicity of it. Between the two you listed, I would chose the Husky.
Hmm didn’t consider the 96. Your advice about the regular maintaining vs new edge is helpful. Deal with fescue/Kentucky yards and VA has some pretty Clayish soils. I do deal with some yards with no edge and my craftsman’s bit the dust yesterday trying to make an edge lol. I never considered that ty.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts

Apologies, I mistook max power speed for blade speed. And you’re right that the straight shaft would definitely have more torque.

OP, for those conditions you described, a nice straight shaft edger would be great. Husky makes a straight shaft 525ES, Stihl has the 96 and 111, and Echo has the 2620S. I’d take whatever is closest to you and has the best dealer support

·
Registered
24,600 Posts
Apologies, I mistook max power speed for blade speed. And you’re right that the straight shaft would definitely have more torque.

OP, for those conditions you described, a nice straight shaft edger would be great. Husky makes a straight shaft 525ES, Stihl has the 96 and 111, and Echo has the 2620S. I’d take whatever is closest to you and has the best dealer support
No worries. I would honestly like to know just what the blade speed is for the Husky myself since I have considered getting a new edger more than once. Husky doesn't even list it in the ops manual. Just the max power rating as mentioned.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
No worries. I would honestly like to know just what the blade speed is for the Husky myself since I have considered getting a new edger more than once. Husky doesn't even list it in the ops manual. Just the max power rating as mentioned.
Husky is definitely flawed with some of their specs, it’d be nice to know that just so it could be fairly compared to Stihl. HO doesn’t mean a ton IME on edgers, I’m 99% certain the torque/gearing is more important. As an example, a 1.34 HP 525ECS isn’t as powerful on nasty edges as the 1.27 HP FC96, simply because the 96 has a higher torque gearbox.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks a ton! Appreciate both of y’all’s help! Gonna take a look at the 96 and 525 tomorrow 😁. Ty!

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I have had two Husqvarna 525 edgers. Everything about the edger is really good except the head. The guards, which keep the head from rubbing the ground, broke within a couple of months. Replacements did the same.

Those same heads have three bolts (with thread locker) which hold the head in place. Within a few months, they will vibrate loose and once that happens, they turned to crap. No matter what I did, including red Lock-tite, they would not stay in place. Instead of replacing head which was ridiculously expensive, I bought the edger attachment for their split shaft model and removed that head. It was much cheaper that way and that head is actually a better quality. Once I did that, they both became much better edgers.

Stihl is one of my least-preferred brands. They have too many little things that tend to break. But I have had a Stihl edger (can't recall exactly which model) and I really liked the four stroke power for an edger. That torque does really well in the thick stuff.

If money's no object, I'd still go with the Husky and be prepared to replace the head with the split shaft model.

·
Registered
115 Posts

Second that go for the husky and the simplicity of a two-stroke.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have had two Husqvarna 525 edgers. Everything about the edger is really good except the head. The guards, which keep the head from rubbing the ground, broke within a couple of months. Replacements did the same.

Those same heads have three bolts (with thread locker) which hold the head in place. Within a few months, they will vibrate loose and once that happens, they turned to crap. No matter what I did, including red Lock-tite, they would not stay in place. Instead of replacing head which was ridiculously expensive, I bought the edger attachment for their split shaft model and removed that head. It was much cheaper that way and that head is actually a better quality. Once I did that, they both became much better edgers.

Stihl is one of my least-preferred brands. They have too many little things that tend to break. But I have had a Stihl edger (can't recall exactly which model) and I really liked the four stroke power for an edger. That torque does really well in the thick stuff.

If money's no object, I'd still go with the Husky and be prepared to replace the head with the split shaft model.
Great info thank you! Do you have the ecs or es?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have been running Husky stuff for the last 4 years. I have all the 525 professional series.

Trimmers, Edger, and Hedge Trimmers.

They have all been pretty flawless. They get ran day in and day out. Im not one to perform routine maintenance. I know. Im sorry. 🤣

I am surrounded by stihl dealers. The closest husky dealer is about forty five minutes or an hour away.

As much as i want to swap i just cant. I did buy a stihl 700x blower to try it but wish i had just got a husky. But. It blows and does great.

I run opti 2 oil. They are strong and start on about the second pull.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I’ve ran Husqvarna for many years as did my father they are unique in their own way they like to run a certain way they like certain fuel oil mixture and I muffler mod most of all my equipment and I can make them run year after year even if there’re used every day. I’ve done this with a couple other brands and I can safely say I can make a husky run longer than any Stihl 4mix. Now a lot of the older equipment Like the FS 80 they were pretty evenly matched and if it wasn’t for the EPA and the rest of those liberal tree huggers things might be different but it is what it is all I know is I am partial to the Husqvarna power tools will always be the ones I go to first especially my chainsaws.

·
Registered
24,600 Posts
As much as I don't care for the 4 mix trimmers due to not being able to feather them. my FS 90 is now 11+ years old and still going strong. I adjust the valves and carb when needed and that's about it. I sure can't knock its longevity any.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts