Lawn Care Forum banner

Husqvarna 223L Trimmer problem

16K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  garystheone 
#1 ·
Hi,

After doing a ton of research online for a decent weed trimmer to use at my house, I decided on the Husqvarna 223L. None of the local hardware stores had it in stock so I ordered it online from Northern Tool & Equipment. It was delivered to my house last week and was basically already put together straight out of the box so the only thing I had to do was attach the orange guard and add the gas/oil mix per the instructions. I followed the startup instructions and I'm able to get the motor running fine but every time I start using it, 3-4 minutes later, the head stops rotating. The engine runs fine but it seems like the head just loses power... I can get it to rotate extremely slowly if I increase the throttle, but that's obviously useless since it won't cut anything. I try starting it up again 3 hours later and the same thing happens - works as expected for three minutes and then the head stops spinning. I'm not using it on any crazy bushes or really tall weeds so it's not caused by getting caught up on anything.

Any ideas? Perhaps it wasn't put together correctly before I received it? I have no idea what to do and there's no troubleshooting info in the manual or online. Thanks in advance for any help.

#3 ·
My guess is that the internal drive shaft is not seated correctly--either at the motor end or the gearbox end. It's a simple process to remove the gearbox--loosen a screw and possibly remove another screw. Pull the drive shaft out a little and put it back in, making sure the shaft goes in almost even with the outer shaft, reinstall the gearbox and give it a try again. If this doesn't work, and you don't want to return it to Northern Tool, come back at us and I'll try to walk you thru the next possibility which is the clutch.

FYI, the Husky trimmer can also be foune at Lowes.

#4 ·
Update - I took it to Northern Tool last night and the assistant manager took a look at it since the main repair guy already left. I described to him the problem and he said he had never heard of this kind of thing happening. I will try taking it again today after work to see if the repair guy can figure it out. Otherwise, I'll decide whether to try fixing it myself or taking it back. Thanks for your replies and will keep you updated.

#5 ·
Do you know whether or not you got a re-manufactured trimmer?
Look at the manufacturers plate on the bottom of the trimmer and
see if it has an "r/R" in the model or serial number.
If it is a re-manned unit, RUN as fast as you can from that machine.
Re-manufactured units have the worst warranties EVER concocted.

Even for homeowner use, in my opinion, I would never purchase a
rebuilt or re-manufactured machine.

#7 ·

I've bought several Echo "refurbished" trimmers from Home Depot--no problems with any of them. Since I do all my own repair work, used or refurbished equip does not scare me--and I get some really good deals that way.

#8 ·
Another update - I just got home from work and tried starting it up again. It worked great for three minutes then bam! the head stopped rotating and then the motor started getting really loud. I turned it off and started it again and as usual, the head didn't rotate and the engine was really loud. I called the local Northern Tool and their Services department is only open until 4pm so I will try taking it there tomorrow morning to see what they say.

Also, I contacted Northern Tool through their website since the assistant manager I met last night suggested I try doing that. Their first response was to try calling their customer service department or call the manufacturer Husqvarna directly. They also said that once a product has been gassed and oiled, Northern does not accept any returns.

I responded that the only way for me to determine if it was working or not was to put fuel in it. And that it's ridiculous that I've had the machine for 5 days, it's never worked properly and that I'm unable to return it and I couldn't believe they would just pass me off to the manufacturer Husqvarna for help when I am Northern's customer since I thought it's only reasonable that Northern should be the ones to deal with the manufacturer to figure out what to do as far as returning it/sending me a new one. I was a little heated about it and honestly didn't expect to get any kind of response, let alone a helpful one.

Turns out they did respond again and offered to let me return the product in exchange for a new one! They even sent me a UPS shipping label. However, I actually threw away the box this weekend since it was gigantic and I assumed the machine would work, so I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to ship it back without the original box. Anyways, I'll worry about that once I take it back to the store tomorrow to see if they can fix it.

Thanks again for the help and for listening to me rant!

#9 ·
Rant away! I'd be plenty PO'd too. That trimmer has excellent reviews from most users on this site. I think you couldn't have made a better choice, except you obviously got a bad unit. Some people on here should be able to help you fix it, but I wouldn't do that except as a last resort. Northern Tool sold you a brand new, high quality trimmer and that's what you deserve to get, not something you have to fix right out of the box. Plus, if you start working on it, they can claim you screwed it up. I'd go straight to the store manager and ask that he give you a new one. He has that authority.

The best option if the local store doesn't come through is to make your own shipping box and use that return label. I recently bought a used Stihl FS80 from someone on this site. He just took a long enough piece of cardboard and bent it in the shape of a triangle to go around the trimmer, then taped it together well. Think of a piece of cardboard in a triangle shape with each side about 10-12 inches and as long as the trimmer.
You can always jam newspaper around the trimmer so it doesn't move around in the box.
Good luck!

#10 ·
I agree with the gearbox or clutch assembly. The reason why it gets so loud is because the driveshaft is not engaging properly therefor letting the engine spin more freely at a higher rpm than it would with the shaft engaged.
Posted via Mobile Device

#11 ·

I have 2 re-manufactured 223L's and a re-manufactured 435 chainsaw and they all run great. Bought from northern tool

#13 ·
I have 2 re-manufactured 223L's and a re-manufactured 435 chainsaw and they all run great. Bought from northern tool
Do you remember how much you saved on the 435 saw (or what you paid for it)? I've been thinking of getting a 455. I don't recall seeing the remanufactured saws at my local store. Did you get it online or at a store? Thanks in advance.

#14 ·
Do you remember how much you saved on the 435 saw (or what you paid for it)? I've been thinking of getting a 455. I don't recall seeing the remanufactured saws at my local store. Did you get it online or at a store? Thanks in advance.
Im sorry I gave some bad info on this. The 2 223L's I bought in the store and they were 159.99 each and the saw I actually bought on ebay about a year and a half ago and it was 175.00 shipped. The saw came in the same box like the 223's did from husqvarna that says remanufactured on it. Good luck I have heard of N tools having the saw's though. I just got mine on the bay.

#15 ·
Im sorry I gave some bad info on this. The 2 223L's I bought in the store and they were 159.99 each and the saw I actually bought on ebay about a year and a half ago and it was 175.00 shipped. The saw came in the same box like the 223's did from husqvarna that says remanufactured on it. Good luck I have heard of N tools having the saw's though. I just got mine on the bay.
OK, thanks for the info. I'll keep my eyes peeled for for a deal on the saws. Most of the ones I see on eBay end up selling for very close to full retail once you include the shipping. Might as well buy local and support your community if you've got to pay full price anyway.

#17 ·
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give everyone the final update. I took it to Northern yesterday morning when the repair guy was finally there and he looked at it and determined that the shaft was not put together correctly before it was sent to me. He unscrewed the top of the shaft and moved it up about half an inch and now it works perfectly! I just got done using it for an hour and it is amazing. I can't believe I had been using a cheap electric plastic piece of crap for so long before I found this one. The 223L seriously cuts 100x better and of course it's so much easier to use without having to deal with extension cords or restringing it every 5 minutes. I'd definitely recommend the Husqvarna 223L to any other lawncare newbies that happen to be browsing this forum. Thanks again everyone for all of the help!

#19 ·
Thanks Patman82 for posting the final results--so many times we hear about the problem, give our ideas for a solution, then never know the end solution.

I knew that it sounded like the inner drive shaft was not properly engaging, however, I never thought about it being the outer shaft that wasn't seated properly, thus making the inner shaft too short to be properly seated on both ends. I'll store this for future use.

#20 ·
Hi,

After doing a ton of research online for a decent weed trimmer to use at my house, I decided on the Husqvarna 223L. None of the local hardware stores had it in stock so I ordered it online from Northern Tool & Equipment. It was delivered to my house last week and was basically already put together straight out of the box so the only thing I had to do was attach the orange guard and add the gas/oil mix per the instructions. I followed the startup instructions and I'm able to get the motor running fine but every time I start using it, 3-4 minutes later, the head stops rotating. The engine runs fine but it seems like the head just loses power... I can get it to rotate extremely slowly if I increase the throttle, but that's obviously useless since it won't cut anything. I try starting it up again 3 hours later and the same thing happens - works as expected for three minutes and then the head stops spinning. I'm not using it on any crazy bushes or really tall weeds so it's not caused by getting caught up on anything.

Any ideas? Perhaps it wasn't put together correctly before I received it? I have no idea what to do and there's no troubleshooting info in the manual or online. Thanks in advance for any help.
I had the opposite problem... After many years of using my 132L the clutch would not disengage. The head was fully engaged even when trying to pull start my trimmer and I could not get the RPM's. After removing the four (4) screws and opening up the clutch housing I found the clutch spring had simply 'popped' out. I got some needle nosed pliers and put it back in place and the trimmer worked as good as new. Great machines and easy maintenance... I Love It !!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.