husqvarna 323l trimmer stripped? But where?

clydesdale

LawnSite Senior Member
Hi all,
I could use a little advice. My Husqvarna trimmer is stripped. It is not the gearhead. I removed the head and I can grab the splines with my gloved hand and I can get it to slip sometimes. With the head on, it just makes grinding noises. I removed the shaft and the splines are fine on the end by the head. The other side looks like it was once square. When these things go, is it usually just the shaft or is the engine side trashed as well? How hard to tear into the engine side? Thanks.

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
You need to remove the drive tube. Use a light and check the clutch drum's socket that the shaft fits into. Could be ok, dunno.
Not hard to tear into, but need to be careful removing the snap ring that holds the drum in. Best to order the snap ring also if ya need to replace drum.

The new drive shaft should be lubed at both ends and along it's length. Check old shaft fer wear marks.

OP
C

clydesdale

LawnSite Senior Member
The clutch drum and the shaft are both rounded, so they are shot. I am disappointed. I think this should have been made more stout.

OP
C

clydesdale

LawnSite Senior Member
I never take the guards off. I have used it for the last 6 seasons. I still have a tanka that is 30 years old. The tanaka is the backup that I am using now. I am trying to buy the parts for the 323L and I come up with two different part numbers for the shaft and two different numbers for the clutch housing. Ugh.

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
OP
C

clydesdale

LawnSite Senior Member
I ended up having to call Husqvarna. The first guy could not figure it out after 1/2 hour. They had me call back the next day and they are confident they are sending the right parts. I bought the drum, shaft and snap ring. Thanks.