Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here's the scenario: I have a Lowes gift card with $125 on it and all I can think to buy that they carry is Husqvarna outdoor power products. I am in need of a good chainsaw for occasional use. They have a Husqvarna 445 on sale right now for $249 so I would have $124+tax out of pocket for this machine. The problem I am having is my local service shop sells Husqvarna and has several of the exact same saw in stock, for $309!!! He wont budge off of the price, says they are going up and this is a fair price but he might throw in a gallon of bar & chain oil. I hate to buy at a box store but I have this giftcard burning a hole in my wallet. Number one, Is this a good occasional use saw and secondly am I justified in not buying from my local guy? Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can bestow on me.

http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/products_product_details.aspx?pid=12455

Scott

·
Registered
65 Posts
I can tell you the dealer cost on that unit is roughly $250.00. This is why he does not want to move on the price. If I told you how I know that I would have to K--L you. I would buy it from Lowes and if you need service let the dealer handle it. Your warranty will still be covered at the local dealers shop.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Get it at Lowes and tell the dealer it was a gift. If you do enough business with him, he should service this also. If you do not use it much, maybe it will not be at the shop that much. If he will not service it, try to find an old small engine repair shop near you. If you do not need anything else at Lowes, I would hate to waste that $125.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The service shop is great and I have bought alot of Echo product off of him lately. He always gets me right in and works on my stuff when I need something done. I don't know if he is just out of touch on pricing or if he really gets that kind of money for his saws. He has several Husqvarna XP saws with tags priced at $899-$1199!!! I don't know how he can move them at those prices. I'm heading to Lowes at noon to look at saws. I just can't spend that much more to stay local, supporting him isn't worth getting gouged. Is the 445 a decent saw for firewood, small limbing applications? The other saw Lowes has discounted is a 455 Rancher for $349. I would only be using this saw a couple of times a year for maybe an hour or so.

Scott

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
couple years ago i decided to invest in a good chain saw and asked
two of my friends of both over 20 years as tree trimmers and they
both said husquavarna .

stihl was second .

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE!!! Went to Lowes and they have 4 of the 445's and no 455's. I started looking at the display models and noticed they had a 350 on display with the 445 info and price on it. I smell a deal in the makes! I took the saw up to the counter and asked what the price was for this saw, $275. OK, I'll take it. They appologized for not hanving a box for it and gave me a extra bottle of bar and chain oil free. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the 350 the older style Husqvarna that sold for like $350?!?! It is build heavier that the 445, actually looks more like the pro level saws. Anyway I feel like I got a steal and I used the gift card so Husqvarna 350 out the door for $165 with tax. Did I do OK?

Scott

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
the first number on the saw is the generation.

The 445 (used to be 345) has the newer x-torq engine, with the some added features.

The 350 (old model, it's now called the 450) is s 3 series saw. The newer x torq engines are way more emissions compliant, which doesn't matter to you, but it's way better on gas.

The 350 is a bigger cc saw then the 445 (formerly 345).

Husqvarana did increase their prices and lowes probably has old stock. They also only stock bar and chains in .050. I needed a chain for my rancher in a pinch and went in there and they had 0 .058 chains for a rancher.

350's had a huge problem with the mufflers falling off. Hope it's not old stock, because you will be visiting the dealer.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Lowe's buys 5000 saws at a time your dealer buys 3 at a time therefor Lowe's gets the better price i will go out of my way to support local business always. plus the local guys around here will not service big box brand stuff even though they are a dealer i applaud this

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.