Husqvarna commercial cut quality?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by ommegang, Sep 3, 2019.

1. ommegang

ommegang LawnSite Member

Just purchased a 48" husq. stander. True value was going out of business so it was reduced from $8999 to $5900. No idea of cut quality. I have had a scag bride and a Toro stander. Was wandering if this husq has a decent cutting deck. Opinions appreciated. Everything looked good on the machine, kawi motor, easy deck adjustment, etc. Just didn't research deck cut quality

IMG_20190903_211953.jpg

IMG_20190903_211932.jpg

Cam15 and hort101 like this.
  2. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

A little late now to be doing DD isn't it? You got one sitting there, take it out and try it.

shadow6000 and weeze like this.
  3. Garrett1234

Garrett1234 LawnSite Senior Member

6k roll of the dice! I like that! Can u please share your thoughts as you put the hours on it? I’ve only read the deck is similar to the 7iron (never tested it) - but that would be a great thing in my book.
    At that price point, if it turns out it’s not to your liking, you won’t be too upside down anyhow

MattZ28, Cam15, Ridin' Green and 2 others like this.
  4. weeze

weeze Banned

it cuts guud

5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Not sure if the stander deck is the same exact design as the ZTR deck, but if so, you will be quite happy I'm sure. This last weekend we drove by two places a little west of us that we have gone by hundreds and hundreds of times over the years, but I have never seen who cut them or what they used until this past Mon. These places always look really nice and have great stripes on them. Turns out both are cut with Husky commercial ZTR's.

T Total Lawncare, Cam15 and hort101 like this.
  6. ltdlawn

ltdlawn LawnSite Gold Member

Cam15 likes this.
  7. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Haha, yeah i demoed the 54” husq stander, V554. My honest opinion, it’s junk and I mean junk. From the platform, controls, operation, etc. it’s not comfortable at all. Cut quality was good if it was drought a$$ dry and thin but get into anything wet or thick and it was awful. Doesn’t hold hills worth a damn. I put 12 hrs on that demo and they were going to give me the same type deal. Dealer had been sitting on that mower for a year so they were ready to move it bad style. Instead I went with the 61” Snapper SS200 for a couple thousand extra. I was seriously disappointed in that V554. I’m a fan of Husqvarna so I was hoping it would have been everything they said it was but unfortunately, it’s crap painted real pretty like.

8. weeze

weeze Banned

T Total Lawncare's husqvarna PZ cuts good wet or dry. he's posted pics on here before. I'm not sure if the stander has the same deck or not.

9. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

The PZ and the V series are not the same thing. The discharge opening on the V series is way too small to cut at any decent speed. If you think I’m bs-ing, go demo one and give a review. As far as I’m concerned- junk.

You can polish a turd all you want but it’s still a turd at the end of the day.

10. T Total Lawncare

T Total Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from The deep south

Yea it’s a different deck. Closer to the style on the MZ series. Like he said cuts good dry but the discharge is too small and will gum up in damp conditions from what I’ve read. Why they wouldn’t format the PZ/Xseries deck to work on the standers is beyond me. If you have something that works ride it until the wheels fall off. No sense in trying to reinvent the wheel.

When my mower croaks I’d definitely consider getting another if they use the same deck but if they go retro back to the smaller discharge I will definitely pass. I ain’t got time to wait for grass to dry with 2 jobs. I have to cut when I can cut rain or shine..

Ridin' Green and hort101 like this.