Husqvarna Fleet Pricing for Homeowner and feedback on their mowers

2016Bighorn

LawnSite Member
This is gonna be a long post, trying to get you to understand my dilemma, my question is really in the second to last paragraph for those that want to scroll down.

I'm strictly a homeowner and have no interest in starting my own lawncare business. I'm looking at upgrading my mower, I currently use a wheelhorse 315-8 with a 48" deck. Yes, a stick shift machine. I will be mowing nearly 2 acres and let's just say it's time consuming at best. My kids are getting older and I'm thinking I could really buy some time having a nice zero turn.

I've looked a lot of brands over and really got the feeling that they all nearly use the same parts it's just how they're put together and what color is your favorite (no offense to brand loyalists, I'm that way with vehicles). Everything from me is practically an hour drive but at that distance I can cover a lot of ground and have nearly and brand available.
There is a local guy though that sells only husqvarna equipment. Hes a one man show and he really knows his stuff. Hes helped me out and lots of family with husqvarna equipment and works on what he sells. He will refuse to work on other peoples stuff, seen it before which I kinda get.

So I decided to check out what he has. He has 3 units I'm interested in. MZ61, Z460 and Z560. His prices seem decent at 4900, 6200, and 7700 respectively. Ideally I was looking to stay around the 5-6k range and pay cash for the unit. The z460 is probably the best deal bc it also includes the air ride seat which is a big upgrade, he buys the units in the winter and that comes free then.

Looking around Facebook I found a Husqvarna dealer 2.5hrs away who advertises fleet specials. They have the Z460 with a blower and weedwacker for $6100. I called and they said this was available to homeowners, however, another dealer told me it wasnt.

I asked my local guy about it fleet deals and he just shrugged it off and mumbled stuff about it being a pain in the ass. I really want to keep my money local but getting a blower and weedwacker while spending less money is quite intriguing. Anyone know about the 20% fleet deals and if these screw the dealers at all? Any homeowners get it? Should I push the issue?

Finally any reviews on these 3 would be appreciated. I expect nothing on the Z460 bc it's quite new. Is the Z560 worth it? It looks to be a hell of a machine but 8k$ for a homeowner mower just seems a little crazy to me.

rclawn

LawnSite Bronze Member
The weedwhacker is probably worth $200 at most, honestly husky trimmers are not well regarded in the industry. Maybe see if your local guy will go $6k or 6100 and you can buy a stihl trimmer from ACE (much better trimmer). I agree with keeping your money local and from the sounds of it this guy will be there to help you out if you have any problems with the mower. Dealer support should be a huge factor in buying a mower, even if you are just using it for your own property.

Cross Creek Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
To some dealer support is everything but I personally wouldn’t touch anything Husqvarna with a ten foot pole. A family member owns a Husky UTV, it’s already had thousands of dollars in repairs at only 500 hours (very low for a UTV). He also owns a rototiller and it is also extremely problematic. I understand spending $3000-4000 on a low end mower but at over $6,000 there are much better options. You don’t really need convenient dealer support when nothing breaks. I’d go with a Hustler, I was able to get a used XONEi (Full commercial with no bells and whistles) with 375 hours for $4000, I’m almost at 500 hours and it has had no problems with me, nor the previous owner. I would, If possible look for a similar deal to mine on a Hustler or a Scag, the two best built mowers. If you spend $8000-10000 on a new or demo hustler or scag, you will get much of your money back on resale. With a $6000 Residential Husky, 300-500 later will be worth near to nothing. I have no personal experience with Husky zero turns but, they don’t seem to be well built and I think your statement basically saying they are all the same with different paint is completely inaccurate, this may apply to Ferris-Snapper Pro Husqvarna-Redmax Toro-Exmark though. If I were you, I’d go to the nearest Scag or Hustler dealer, look for a Tiger Cat, Patriot, XONE or Fastrak SDX ideally coming off a demo with 100 hours for a few grand off. Just my 2 cents.

douglee25

LawnSite Senior Member
Similar to the above, reviews on Husky equipment aren't stellar. Mainly issues around QOC. At 5k-5500 all day long my recommendation would be the Gravely ZT HD series. A high end residential / low grade commercial. Look at the specs. It can't be beat dollar for dollar. Ariens makes the same machine FYI. If you step up into the 7k+ range, I'd look at every other brand available over Husky. Gravely, Ferris, Bobcat, Scag, Wright, etc are all great machines with great feedback and reviews. If it's just for home use, go used. 4-5k will buy you a great machine with a lot of life left in it.

OP

2016Bighorn

LawnSite Member
I'm suprised by all the husqvarna hate. I know they're not the biggest/best mower company but.... I've had nothing but great luck with their chainsaw and weedwacker. My current weedwacker, I dropped a tree on which sent it flying into the air. Brought it to this guy and he just happened to have one with a blown motor that someone gave him. He swapped everything out and asked for $20. Most of the cooling find on the motor are broke off and this thing just keeps chugging along.

I bunch of locals all own his equipment because they're all friends. I'm going to see someone this weekend who has a 4 year old z560. He mows personally 7-10 acres of his property and as far as I know, hasnt had a lick of issue.

As to the different paint comment i made, i knew this wasnt the smartest idea. I just feel they all use the same tires, same engines and same transmissions. The differences come in location of items, and size/build of the actual frame. Is there something else.

I've talked to a few other people and they all love their husqvarna mowers. My mom also has a rebranded craftsman, which is husqvarna for her series, and again, no real issues. I by no means have ruled out other brands. I'm actually quite interested in the toro titan HD with my ride in 60". I've priced out some scag and for the features I feel like they're quite expensive however i know they do have quite the following. Their 0% actually seems legit compared to others. I do have a local scag dealer but their primarily power sports so i kinda ruled them out as it's not their specialty so i was nervous on their knowledge if something did go wrong.

douglee25

LawnSite Senior Member
Not hating, but you're speaking residential to a bunch of commercial guys....what do you expect?

Hawkshot99

LawnSite Silver Member
For some reason Husky mowers have a poor reputation on here from everyone who doesn't own one. The people who do own them seem to be quite happy with them.
This is the same for other brands such as badboy.

People who own them have been very happy. I have never run a husky mower, but love their handhelds.

Also asking people who run the commercial heavy duty lines about the lower residential lines will not get you the greatest answers. Not all mowers from a company are created to the same standard.

Cross Creek Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
I just don’t see why you would buy a residential, $6000 for a mower that 500 hours later will be worth $1000, or a $10,000 Scag that with 500 hours would be worth at least $5000. Plus it won’t be as problematic, it will be way faster with mowing and will last 25 years If you want it to.

Hawkshot99

LawnSite Silver Member
I just don’t see why you would buy a residential, $6000 for a mower that 500 hours later will be worth $1000, or a $10,000 Scag that with 500 hours would be worth at least $5000. Plus it won’t be as problematic, it will be way faster with mowing and will last 25 years If you want it to.
For starters, you need to come up with the extra $ for the more expensive 1...