1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Husqvarna, JD, or Snapper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by HigginsLawnCare, Jan 10, 2017.

1. 2500

Mr Stripe likes this.
  2. Sti2.5ldohc

Sti2.5ldohc LawnSite Member

I've had 2 John Deere 225s that were used for my business growing up. The one has over 2000 hours. Replaced engine at 1700.

3. Mr Stripe

Mr Stripe LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Seymour Missouri

literally I'd rather throw $2000 on a used Scag with 980 hours and take my chances then to roll the dice on a brand new residential grade ztr.

4. HigginsLawnCare

HigginsLawnCare LawnSite Member

What about a SCAG LIBERTY z ..... think it's a 48" ? This one does have fabricated deck , z2800 hydro gear tranny for $4200. I don't need any deck bigger than a 48". I really appreciate your suggestions guys, it's gonna help. I think the most say , don't settle for a brand new $2800 residential ZTR, it won't hold up.

Mr Stripe likes this.
  5. Mr Stripe

Mr Stripe LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Seymour Missouri

I don't know much about the liberty-z so I'll let others weigh in,,, I like that you're thinking Scag though.

HigginsLawnCare likes this.
  6. HigginsLawnCare

HigginsLawnCare LawnSite Member

Has anyone owned one of these or heard of any reviews? 2017 Hustler Raptor SD, 48", Kohler 25hp

7. Gilbertlwncare

Gilbertlwncare LawnSite Member

I bought a brand new commercial 52" husqvarna last year and love it great all around machine. It cuts well when its wet and the price is very competitive.

8. KDK

KDK LawnSite Member

There are lots of great used options out there. Check out face-book resale pages! Get what you need the first time you but and you save money.

9. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from USA

You would be better off with a good used commercial mower.

10. Blainethompson

Blainethompson LawnSite Senior Member

I have the Raptor SD 48 with 25hp kohler. so far I really like it. had a few problems but nothing really major. I run the hustler bagger on it which doesn't an excellent job. I also have the flex forks on it and between those and the seat it is very comfortable. I have been extremely impressed with the QOC on multiple grasses(st. Augustine, Bermuda, buffalo, and zoysia.) I have built a custom intake for it so that I can run a commercial grade air filter set up. running the bagger causes lots of dust and grass to get blown around the motor and I would have to clean stock air filter every time I mowed. the side discharge works crazy good, I'm sure part of the reason is I have the super high lift blade for bagging on the discharge side of the mower. I can literally throw a fan of grass out 3 passes over. ive also run the mulch kit a few times. it works well considering the size of the deck, cuts grass up very well. its also very easy to remove and install mulch kit because I sometimes go back and forth between that and bagging. just my 2 cents on the raptor sd 48.