Husqvarna mz52 losing power

K holland

LawnSite Member
I have a 05 husqvarna 52" mower with a 23 hp Kohler engine. It loses power when engaging the blades and will turn off when starting to cut thicker grass. I think it is electrical because the battery is always dead even after installing a new battery it went dead after 3 or 4 times cutting. Any ideas on what to look for on this system.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
Check your regulator, check your coils. Make sure you have clean gas, filter, spark plug, fuses.....

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
Easy coil check is to run engine pull one plug insulator off at a time, if no change or cold, no spark, if you pull it off and it dies you are running on one cylinder. No change is the dead side. Do you have a multi meter?

OP
K

K holland

LawnSite Member
Easy coil check is to run engine pull one plug insulator off at a time, if no change or cold, no spark, if you pull it off and it dies you are running on one cylinder. No change is the dead side. Do you have a multi meter?
Yes I do have a pretty good one.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
How many volts are you getting at the battery with engine running full throttle?

OP
K

K holland

LawnSite Member
How many volts are you getting at the battery with engine running full throttle?
Hal,
I have the battery out and on a charger right now but when I get it charged I will start and check if the battery is getting 14 volts or losing voltage.

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
Look, snag ya a shop manual from the Kohler site. Covers most everything ya need to know. Also , check yer mowers wiring and charging circuit, fuse holder, and reg, connector. Usually routes thru the key switch also.
https://kohlerpower.com/en/engines/manuals
Husq. should have the mower wiring diagram, right ?