Husqvarna PZT60 Start click problems

Testedone

LawnSite Member
I have a 1 year old PZT60 with the Vangaurd EFI engine.

I turn the key and it will click like the starter engages but does not turn. If I toggle the key a few times (sometimes more) it will then turn over and start no problem. This is whether it is winter or summer.

Some folks have stated the following things

• Try a new Battery I did and I also jumped 2 batteries together
  • I have heard talk of some kind of release valve may not be operating properly to release back pressure
  • Spoke to local delaer and they say they have seen a lot of this and have replaced starters but then it eventually comes back
  • If I have been running the ZTR for a while and turn it off and within a few minutes try to start it again, no problems, so only cold starts

Any ideas or help are appreciated

Rick

Walker56

LawnSite Fanatic
Shouldn't the mower still be under warranty? Have you checked your battery cable connections at the battery terminals and the other ends of the battery cables at the starter and mower frame for good connectivity? When this no crank occurs have you tried to jump the solenoid at the starter to see if the engine cranks over?

OP
Testedone

Testedone

LawnSite Member
It's hard to describe.

Yes it is under warranty but it's a 2.5 hour drive to a place that works under warranty.

All connections are a good and battery

As far as jumping at the solenoid not sure I know what that entails..

Thanks for the input

Walker56

LawnSite Fanatic
Jumping the solenoid is accomplished by placing a heavy wire or a screwdriver from the large battery terminal on the starter solenoid to the small terminal on the solenoid where the thin wire attaches. If you are unsure or unfamiliar, maybe you could ask someone with experience to assist you. This way you wont risk damaging anything.
Here is a link to , what I believe, the service manual for your engine.
Section 2 discusses troubleshooting and Section 7 discusses servicing the starter and its components so you can become familiar
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6NaqjIxWV1yZHlwUk9CWlNwYVE/edit

OP
Testedone

Testedone

LawnSite Member
Vanguard engine

I just took the starter and solenoid off and tested, they both seem to be working fine

here is the engine number
20190620_145342.jpg

Walker56

LawnSite Fanatic
In my opinion, you should jump the solenoid with the starter installed in the engine when this no crank condition occurs. If you jump the solenoid and the starter cranks the engine, then you could have a low voltage issue on the solenoid trigger wire. You would need to measure the voltage with a DVOM to verify. The schematic for your mower, linked in the manual below, does not show a starter relay in the mower harness. It seems that the trigger wire from the ign switch goes directly to the engine harness.
http://service.webec.husqvarna.net/...nUSes/HUSO2016_USenUSes_PZT60_115712827rD.pdf
Other members may have different suggestions.

Last edited:

T Total Lawncare

LawnSite Bronze Member
Replace the PTO switch. They are known to be faulty. If it’s bad like mine was it will engage the safety measures and prevent the engine from starting. They are an outsourced cheap part used on many different brands and are prone to fail. My PZ did the same thing a couple years ago and my first thought was starter as well. The switch is a warrantied part but cost less than 10$ if you want to order one and save yourself the drive and time.

Dflowe

LawnSite Member
I have a PZ7234 and it was doing the same thing. I was having to jump it off every time I used it and the battery was showing fully charged. I replaced the battery with one that had considerably higher cold cranking amps and it's been firing up fine all season so far.

Top Forums