Husqvarna Trimmer Question...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tucssarg1005, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Tucssarg1005

Tucssarg1005 LawnSite Member

today I was looking at some Husqvarna straight shaft string trimmers as that’s the closest dealer to me. I’ve been using Stihl curved shaft for the entire time I’ve been in business but I want to move to straight shaft now. Anyhow the $200 model (which is my price range) has a huge deflector shield on it. I don’t like it because it’s tough to see the head when you flip the machine on its side to edge. Can’t imagine you could trim a nice perfect edge if you can’t see what your hitting.

As you go up in price the deflector shields change shape and size and generally get smaller. Why is that? Anyone have a clue?

Also, anyone know if the Stihl models are the same with their shields?

2. Dawson

Dawson LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree about them getting in the way, that's why I take them off;). Can't stand using a trimmer with a guard on it, slows me down too much.

Charles likes this.
  3. Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

I have never used the guards first thing that comes off when I buy new trimmer. It will beat your legs up and make sure you always wear safty glasses and be aware at all times which way trimmer throwing debris expecially by windows

Charles likes this.
  4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

The shields get smaller because they figure you are a pro and not a homeowner. Bought one the other day. Shield gone before the first lawn:clapping:

5. flybynite

flybynite LawnSite Senior Member

While I don't like the shield on the trimmers, I really like the Edgit after market attachment. It works very well as a guide when trimming sidewalks and other areas where crisp lines and edges are a must. Very little effort to use it as well. It also acts like a mini mower. It creates suction when spinning and pulling the grass blades up to help trim the grass better!

6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i leave the shields on. they never get in my way.

7. Dawson

run without one for a while and then stick it back on, then you'll see the light:D

8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i've already done that before. i worked for another company in college and we had no guards on the trimmers. it doesn't make any difference if you know what you are doing.

the shield keeps the string the proper length. that's the main function of it.

GSO LAWNEN4CER and Dawson like this.
  9. Dawson

I like My string much longer than the proper length though....That's one of the things that make running without a shield better. you can run at lower RPM which doesn't sling stuff as far or as hard and you don't eat through string as fast. But to each his ownThumbs Up

10. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

that's bad for the engine long term. you don't want it bogging down all of the time from long string.

the rpm's can be controlled by the trigger. you don't have to trim at wide open throttle. i never go to wide open throttle when i trim. i generally go 1/2-3/4 throttle.

hort101 and Doc8406 like this.