Husqvarna vs.stihl vs.???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by cody bishop, Jan 21, 2018.

1. cody bishop

cody bishop LawnSite Member

I have am 14 I have been mowing lawns for a while now and I am preparing to buy my first string trimmer I will be buying it new I am thinking either the stihl 240 R or the husqvarna 535LS or is there a whole different brand I should consider I am looking for long lasting and Lots of power because when I get my drivers license I plan on being a full out landscaper

2. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member

Good to see a young-un interested in something other than stayin' indoors glued to an I pad or something. Way to go !

I'm not a user, I jes' repair 'em, but I think you'd be much better off with the Stihl unit. Should last ya quite a while. Pay attention to the fuel oil mix, don't cheap out on the oil, use a good name brand. Don't use too much oil thinkin' it'l help keep things lubed up, all it will do is foul things up and make a mess around the exhaust.

Good luck on yer business venture.

3. wheatus

wheatus LawnSite Bronze Member

There isn’t enough difference between the major manufacturers to worry about. Pick your equipment based on the dealer and service.

The 535 is overkill. The 525 series is plenty. Look at the 525LST, great trimmer.

RDALawns and Ridin' Green like this.
  4. Calmseas6

Calmseas6 LawnSite Member

Depending what you are trimming keep weight in mind. If you are cutting weekly or bi weekly yards you wont necessarily need a high powered machine. A Stihl 91 or 94 or the like would probably be fine and be less to lug around. If you are cutting alot of over grown accounts you'll want the power. I use a Stihl HS 56 and it does fine. Home owner model but I think it has the same powerhead as the 70. Good luck with your business!

5. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Silver Member

The Stihl 240R is a beast, way overkill. You’re starting to grown biz wise? Rule #1 = Control costs. The ones you can LOL. Don’t know that much about Husky. Big changes in quaility since their buying spree.
    Get a FS56R. Tough, well built. Get the starting procedure down and you’ll have a tool that’ll last years.
    A little heavy, but is you were looking at a 240.........

Grass Bass and Ridin' Green like this.
  6. Calmseas6

Calmseas6 LawnSite Member

Yes FS56 that's what I meant

7. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

For regular mowing the Shindaiwa T242 is a great machine and probably the lightest out of all of them.

hort101 likes this.
  8. Grass Bass

Grass Bass LawnSite Member

I have multiple Stihl trimmers and a few echos. I prefer Stihl. I have a 240 and it is a monster tons of torque and high end power that is unmatched. That being said I do prefer the 4mix engines. My first "Pro" trimmer is a FS 90 R now its the 91R. I think power wise the FS 91 will handle pretty much anything you run into. My 90 is my main and favorite trimmer. I have had it 5 seasons now. Valves adjusted once and regular routine maintenance
    its never lets me down. I run Stihl HP ultra oil and the super premium gas from Sunoco. Handhelds seem to really like that combo.

Husqvarna makes great equipment as well so you can't go wrong especially in any PRO line. I have the 580 BTS backpack blower and its the best backpack Ive used. Go with the best dealer of either. If you get into tree work you'll love having a Husky or Stihl dealer those saws from each are just amazing.

9. playersc

playersc LawnSite Member

First and foremost, glad to see you being motivated to work!!! I’m partial to Husqvarna due to dealer support. I live in a small town and Husky dealer is great, Stihl dealer is 30 miles away great dealer just way farther to go. I’ve ran the Husqvarna 326LD, 324LD (4 stroke model), 327LD and the latest 525LK. I would highly recommend the LK model for attachment purposes.

10. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

I have several 3 year old husky trimmers. Well out of warranty. Been good trimmers. They are starting to show some wear. They will be replaced soon. If I've got to choose between stihl or husky it's husky. Because of the dealer. My local sthil dealer sucks.