1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hustler is down, if it is another Kohler problem BANG ZOOM!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by REALSLOW, Aug 10, 2006.

1. REALSLOW

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

My super Z went down today with just 168 hours on it, I checked all the safety switches and the spark seems to be intermitent. If it is another Kohler problem me and Kohler may be parting ways. I find these motors have quality issues in certain areas. So I will see!

2. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I just lost a Kohler at 988 hours. I bought the Kohler because the Kaw's never seem to last long. I hope the new one is better. I know I am not impressed by the 30 Kohler I just purchased, it is lacking in power and came from the factory with issues. Not great for the Kohler name. Hope your problem is just a safety. My Super's have lost seat safetys that will cause them to shut down.

3. REALSLOW

from FLORIDA

The first thing I did was bypass all the safeties and I did get spark every once in a while but it was weak so i suspect a bad coil or something.

4. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Yeah, the coil makes sense given that information.

Good luck, having a rider down is no fun!

5. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

Nothing but good to say here about my Kohlers - 18 Command, 26 EFI and 28 EFI. All flawless since new.

The 18 is approaching 3000 hrs, the 26 2500 hours, and the 28 is still a baby at under 800.

I am religious about oil changes at 50 hours. 10W30 Valvoline dino oil since new. I am also very careful with the cleanliness of the fuel and the air filters.

deej

6. REALSLOW

from FLORIDA

I have had alot of B.S problems with them. They seem to develop issues with little hours on them. I have one that might have 80 hours on it and it has a knock when cold. I have one on my Lazer that has around 200 hours on it and the magnets flew off the fly wheel and took out the whole charging system, I do not seem to have these problems with the Kawies and Hondas?

7. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

Check the relays. If they are Beuler, Hustler is now using Bosch and recommended the switch to me.

8. REALSLOW

from FLORIDA

where are the relays ? Thanks by the way.

9. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

Under the throttle/key cover. I have a post in the Hustler forum about the problem - "sealed relays".

10. REALSLOW

from FLORIDA

Thankyou very much, it was the relays.