1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Hustler mini z stall problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by 09HustlerFastrak, Jun 1, 2020.

1. 09HustlerFastrak

09HustlerFastrak LawnSite Member

I have a 2004 Hustler Mini Z with 575 hours, and it has a 23 horse Kawasaki FH680V. It has a problem to where when I hit bumps it will stall and you have to give it a few seconds to catch up with its self, the stalling issue gets worse the longer you run the mower. I have tried several things to try and correct the problem but have had no luck. I've jumped the seat switch, cleaned the fuel tanks, new fuel filter, new fuel lines all the way around, it has new coils, new spark plugs, thoroughly cleaned the carb, and also rebuilt it, new fuel pump, new fittings in the fuel tank, check gas caps to see if it was vapor locking, and that is everything I can think of that I've done. I'm looking for some advice for what I should try next, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. OP
    OP
    09HustlerFastrak

I also forgot to mention that it is more likely to have the problem when the blades are engaged, thinking that the problem worsens when the mower is under more load.

3. JoeRagMan

JoeRagMan LawnSite Senior Member

Might want to check the intake manifold gaskets for leaks by running engine and spraying carb cleaner around gaskets. If engine smooths out or increases in RPM gasket is leaking. Also, have you checked governor adjustment? Are the springs and linkages in the correct holes in the throttle bracket? Good luck.

4. OP
    OP
    09HustlerFastrak

I will check both of those things and let you know, thanks for the help.

5. OP
    OP
    09HustlerFastrak

Not only is the engine still having the stall issue with bumps, but now after about 30 minutes of operation it stalls and dies, then I have to wait 5-10 minutes and can usually get it to run again for about 5-10 minutes before it does it again. The intake manifold gaskets seemed to be good. The springs and linkages are in the correct holes. Haven't checked the governor adjustment because I'm not familiar with how to adjust one. So besides trying to check the governor adjustment, not sure what to try next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

6. JoeRagMan

Quick check to see if it’s fuel or ignition; when it quits, spray a small amount of starting ether, carb cleaner or something flammable in carb and see if it starts. If it does start, problem is fuel related. If it doesn’t start, probably ignition problem. Next step if it doesn’t start, check to see if it had spark. A good spark checker comes in handy for these problems. Available at an auto parts store.Good luck, interested to hear what you find.

7. OP
    OP
    09HustlerFastrak

Ok I should hopefully be able to use it in the next couple days, I have a spark checker, it's one that has a bulb that lights up, I have heard that the spark testers that you can set a gap on are better. Will the one I have be sufficient or should I get the other style? Thanks for all the advice.

8. JoeRagMan

I have the lamp style spark tester. Should be fine. Had my tester for a while, didn’t know they made one with the adjustable gap. If not sure, just pull plug wire(s) off and and stick a small screwdriver in plug boot and place screwdriver shaft near the metal engine block. (Leather gloves recommended) should have a nice blue spark. If spark is orange, spark is weak. Could be the coil(s) are getting weak, fail when they get hit.

9. OP
    OP
    09HustlerFastrak

Ok sounds good, I will doing some checking on it in the next couple of days. I sure hope it is not coils as they are pretty much brand new.

10. Ole_blue

Ole_blue LawnSite Member

Also check the parking brake switch and control levers switch if it has those.