Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie and was wandering which I should buy.
I have narrowed down my selection to the Hustler Super Z or the Exmark Lazer.

Considering both having a liquid cooled 27 Kawasaki engine and 60" deck , I am finding about $1400.00 difference in price.
I am leaning to-wards the hustler due to speed and price.
Quality and longevity are my main objectives though.

I will be primarily mowing my 5 acres of flat, pretty much open, land and may eventually start a busyness.

I even thought about a Kubota 27hp, but thats $3500.00 from the Hustler.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Chris

· Registered
13,950 Posts
Do a search
Go to exmarks site and look up-----to exmark---Then go to hustlers and look up---cut quality--- And see why exmarks are worth more.
John.

· Registered
1,398 Posts
I love my Hustler Z. No complaints at all. But I would demo both brands before buying. Don't look at price alone as the determining factor. Consider service, parts availability, etc from your dealer. Either way both brands make excellent products and I don't think you could go wrong regardless of which one you choose. Good luck.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A couple corrections for the record in my above post, since i can not edit.

busyness should be business
and
Kubota 27 HP should be kubota 28HP

Thanks for your input Fellows , looks like Exmark may win out.

· Registered
9,873 Posts
Originally posted by Elohim1

Considering both having a liquid cooled 27 Kawasaki engine and 60" deck , I am finding about $1400.00 difference in price.
I am leaning to-wards the hustler due to speed and price.
Quality and longevity are my main objectives though.
First,
Are you sure your getting quoted on a 27 hp liquid cooled Kawasaki from your Hustler dealer and not a 27 hp air cooled Kohler ?
The reason I ask, is because the liquid cooled Hustler will not be in production until next month.
Second,
The speed of the Hustler unit coupled with its added features should make this a very easy decision, buy the Hustler, it will be a lot more productive.
But please don't take my word on this (I insist) demo each unit (comparable engines and deck sizes) and then make your decision.
We have been making mowing equipment for almost 40 years, quality and longevity are job # 1 with Hustler and we are second to none.
There are many very happy owners of Hustler products, we back up our product 110% and make sure you are happy with your purchase.

Later
Pj

· Registered
86 Posts
if you look carefuly you'll notice that alot of people that like the Super Z live down south (mostly Florida) and people that like the Lazer Z tend to be up north. I'm with you in the midwest and just bought a Lazer Z to replace my Super Z. The Hustler is good in baja grass but not so good in kentucky blue grass, and is horrible in wet grass. But the Hustler is built very well, just not too good up north.
I'll be picking up my 04 Lazer Z on friday, hope this helps.

Dan

· Banned
8,283 Posts
Mowerconsultant,
What do you base the much more productive statement on?
hopefully not on the advertised 15 mph. transport speed.
This is not sarcasm,I was going to check out hustler products for comparison until I found out the dealer near us is not open on weekends.

· Registered
86 Posts
the 15mph transport speed isn't much help when the front casters wabble around at that spped (Choppers do too). And the 12 mph mowing speed will rarely get used, and when it does you'll get beat up , even with the suspension seat.
And having to double cut is never more productive, even at 15 mph.

· Registered
87 Posts
I live in Pa and my Exmark cuts the tallest and wetest grass I have ever cut, or care to cut. Its a great machine, even in heavy wet conditions, the finished cut is still very respectable. In dry conditions, its awesome!! Exmark all the way.

· Registered
4,250 Posts
Haven't had a problem with my castors wobbling like that. Now I had a Grasshopper that did that and it would drive you crazy :D I guess if you were running 15 mph on rough terrain it would happen though.

The higher mowing speed is more useful than I thought it would be. We had to cut a large bahia lawn the other day and after not getting much rain in the last few weeks I was able to mow it pretty darn fast :) In the middle of summer with 18 inch bahia heads, you are right, it's mainly useful for transport or going back over an area that you have already cut.

· Registered
169 Posts
Elohim,
I just demoed both this past month. Do a search for hustler demo results, I tried to list all the goods and bads comparing the two mowers-IMO. Bottom line was that I thought the Hustler did a nice job, but just not quite as nice as the Lazer Z. Also, I found the top speed of the Super Z just was not usuable. Really, how many of your properties can you cut at 10mph and do a nice job? None of mine...Demo both, meet with the dealers, (I haven't been that impressed with the Hustler dealer in my area) and that way you can purchase without regrets.

Good Luck!

· Registered
1,282 Posts
Mowing @ 10-12 mph? That is a joke! will get fired here if you do cause the lawns will be hacked not mowed besides in danger of killing dogs or injuring something.
By the way, I am with you all, both are great but what seperates them apart is the "cut"
eXmark as always.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.