Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been running walkers for a while and love the cut, but i want to be a little more productive. The other day I used a Hustler 60" with a 23hp Kaw and loved it. I havnt heard much about them but decided to give them a try. It left a great cut and it ran very very smooth. Ive tried just about all of the brands. I recently demoed a SCAG turf tiger and it seemed to be comparable....What are ya'lls opinions? I can get the 23hp air cooled Hustler for about $7100 with suspension seat, or a 27hp Liquid cooled Turf Tiger for $7600. Both are 60" decks

·
Registered
9,779 Posts
My vote is for Hustler....lol...lol.. for obvious reasons.....
Seriously......
As you may or may not be aware of, Hustler product are made about 85 miles from Winfield, go up I 35 to I 135 to exit 40 (Hesston), you are in Hustler country !!!
The Hustler is a lower profile and shorter unit, this makes the Hustler excellent on hills and slopes.
Lifetime warranty on the frame, and front edge of the deck, and 2 year bumper to bumper warranty, also lifetime on hoses and fittings against leaks !!
No gearbox on the Hustler deck to maintain, as with the Scag.
More fuel capacity on the Hustler, built in parking brake, less belts.
Suspension seat is a plus also.
There are a ton of reasons, I am sure other LS members will post more that I am missing here.

Later
Pj

·
Registered
84 Posts
In my opinion the Hustler is the way to go. I LOVE mine. I would suggest that at the leat you get the 25 hp kawi. If you can wait, wait till August and get the liquid cooled kawi they are going to sell. I think it's a 27hp. I wish I had it. I have never ran that motor, but I am one of those guys that believes you can never have to much power.

superman

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yea I would definetly the Lazer, oh wait that wasnt a choice was it, well I would still go with the Lazer

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I got a new Hustler Super Mini Z 52" 25 HP this year. Cut and ride is fantastic. I have never demoed a Skag.

The few not so obvious things to compare between the mowers is

1. suspension seat. If it doesn't have adjustable spring tension under the seat you will regret it when mowing bumpy yards. You need to demo on real bumpy ground area.

2. air filter system - Hustler has the donaldson air system at least on mine (big filter setup) and is mounted above the engine area so less dust gets into the filer vs. filters mounted low to the ground. Do a search on this site for 'donaldson' to get others opinions.

3. Warranty - Hustler has a great warranty.

4. Hustler is a sponsor of Lawnsite and you get quick answers from MowerConsultant. If their is a problem with your mower they are on it right away. Read some of the Hustler forum threads and you will see what I mean.

5. Compare what is built into a mower that the other mower doesn't have.
5a. I like Hustlers parking brake system but not sure what Scag has for parking brake.
5a. I like the drink container holders built into one of the gas tanks.
5b. I like the idea you don't have a toggle switch to switch from one tank to another when run out of gas on one tank like some ZTR's. Gas stays the same level amount between both tanks.

Bill

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
None easier to use in the industry. Simple foot pedal and drop in place pin, select the proper hole on the rail, and drop in the pin and go. There is an easy to read fractional inch scale decal located below the assembly, corresponds to the holes in the rail, just count the black dots on the decal to find the height you need. easy to change cutting heights on the fly.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Hey Capken I forgot to include that one. I am starting to take all these fantastic standard features on the Hustler for granted that I am forgetting to mention things that other ZTR's may not have as a standard feature.

·
Registered
135 Posts
go with the HUSTLER youll never be more satisfied:D

·
Registered
642 Posts
Recently bought a Hustler Z 60" 24 hp Honda. Lots of good features, cuts great, rides good, overall great machine.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I say go with the Scag Tiger. It is built like a tank and In my opinion gives way better cut. Also the liquid cooled motor is way better than the air cooled. Scag also offers a 29 HP liquid cooled DFI (Digital fuel Injected) engine, which supposedly uses 25% less gas.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I don’t own a Hustler Z. But while waiting for my super walk behind to get in,
my dealer loaned me a Super Z for about a week.
It was a 24 HP Honda and it handled my hills great, and left a great cut.
Plus the support from Pj (Hustler) is fast and Helpful.
I would go for the 25 HP Kawasaki or bigger on this machine. Bigger is always better.
I am very pleased with my 25 HP on my Super W/B.
Hope this helps..
Jeff

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Customer support and satisfaction count. Oh I forgot, You got to have a outstanding product to go with it.

Hustler delivers, in my opinion.

Ergonomically correct, well thought out, built tough.

I should include pictures of the impossible things I've asked my machines to do. Severe applications, hills, hay fields, [yard? for my deer camp] rough terrain, ect. They haven't let me down.

If I have a question, or a problem PJ has comes through with a solution.

·
Registered
305 Posts
You can change the Scag cutting height just as easily. You don't have to count dots, it's written in 1/4" incriments where the pin goes in. Same foot pedal and pin system.

Compare prices, options, and warranties. Demo them both, and decide.

·
Banned
3,485 Posts
I can't comment on the Scag so I will not, I can give my opinion on the Hustler. I have a 60" Super Z, the seat is great, 2 cup holders (don't like hot drinks or drings with grass in them) so I use them for golf balls I pick up.

Deck: Adjusting the deck is simple and I really like being able to make 1/4" adjustments. It is also very easy to clean around pullies and belts (last mower held water there).

Speed: It's fast but I can't mow at top speed so that's no big deal. The speed does come in handy when we have lawns that are close, while one is inishing the trimming and blowing the mower can be quickly taken to the next lawn without having to load and unload.

Warranty: Great.

Service: I doubt you will find any better. I have read where several here have had PJ or someomany peoplne else from Hustler bring them a demo mower, heck just 2 weeks ago PJ offered to bring me a walkbehind to try. They are active on this forum and geting questions answered is a snap...will Scag offer that?

I would suggest demo both, ask both makers questions and see which you like best and which gives you the best support.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I had a scag, don't miss it at all.Love my Super-Z for all the reasons listed above. Customer support is awesome from Hustler, I did't get that from scag. Look at the Super-Z and you will not look back.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.