Lawn Care Forum banner
41 - 60 of 252 Posts
QUOTE:

"The Super 104 is another enhanced product, based on the Super Z. Wings have been added to extend the mowing width to a 104-inch cut. Excel says it can mow up to 84 acres in eight hours at 10 miles per hour. The Super 104 has the HyperDrive system. Its MSRP is under $30,000."

That's a lot of grass mowing in one day, but remember; to cut that much you have got to run in a straight line at 10 mph and never turn around once. Who would us an illustration of cutting 84 acres in eight hours, other than a gimmick to gain your attention, while knowing in reality this is not possible.

Let's now use more realistic figures:

8.5' x 10 mph x 5280' x (70% efficiency) Ă· 43,560 = mowing 7.21 ac per hr

6' x 13 mph x 5280' x (70% efficiency) Ă· 43,560 = mowing 6.62 ac per hr

This is what speed versus width can do for productivity. This fold up $28,000.00 mower looks like a very productive machine, and in reality it is, but not nearly as much more than one would think when looking at the fast speeds I run with a 72" deck; in comparison to the slower speed with the 104" deck. This is not a good trade of money for someone such as myself.
The ? is can you mow at 15 with the 104. Well Pupster we are waiting for you to let us know.

The ? is can you mow at 15 with the 104. Well Pupster we are waiting for you to let us know.
While looking at it from a physics point of view, no, this mower will never cut grass at 15 mph, it is not capable. The blades can't turn fast enough, and even if it could knock the grass down for finishing with a double cut, those wings would tear all to pieces bouncing over the ground at fast mowing speeds. I would say the caster forks would probably be the first component to break down, the is not a fast mowing speed designed mower.

Hustler will tell you, they do not make a mower designed to cut grass at 15 mph, and I figure they would like for the 104 to stay below 10.

While looking at it from a physics point of view, no, this mower will never cut grass at 15 mph, it is not capable. The blades can't turn fast enough, and even if it could knock the grass down for finishing with a double cut, those wings would tear all to pieces bouncing over the ground at fast mowing speeds. I would say the caster forks would probably be the first component to break down, the is not a fast mowing speed designed mower.

Hustler will tell you, they do not make a mower designed to cut grass at 15 mph, and I figure they would like for the 104 to stay below 10.
The thing is where I am your 72 at 15 would out cut the 104 at 10 and you are right the mower would probably fall apart doing what you do tp your 72.

For 30 grand screw that, for that I can build something much more productive

The thing is where I am your 72 at 15 would out cut the 104 at 10 and you are right the mower would probably fall apart doing what you do tp your 72.

For 30 grand screw that, for that I can build something much more productive
This mower looks like the "cats meow" for some applications, maybe for a school system mowing several football field and baseball field complexes, very smooth large open areas. You can take your mower and put it beside this mower on a football field and you will mow much faster, just not quite as wide.

You can take your mower and put it into what would be considered reasonably rough cutting, and your mower will still be going strong when someone is working to keep the wings on the big boy intact. Look at the picture close, then think about how these wings will react while floating over rough ground at any speed at all. Look at the hinge points, the hydraulic cylinders, and the much smaller forks and spindles. The mower will be great on manicured large open areas, but like I say, the ones that will suit this mower are sports fields and the likes thereof.

They may of done that with this deck but there other RD decks a middle blade forward, on the ztrs anyway.
What I am thinking is that in order to keep the deck compact enough/shaped correctly to fit under the frame and have the belt as short as possible, they may have used a staggered design kinda like this, with the parentheses representinmg the wing mowers-

HTML:
                    O    O
                O)     O    (O

What I am thinking is that in order to keep the deck compact enough/shaped correctly to fit under the frame and have the belt as short as possible, they may have used a staggered design kinda like this, with the parentheses representinmg the wing mowers-

HTML:
                    O    O
                O)     O    (O
Ok, got it!
Be interesting to see the full photos of it. A few pulleys on that thing!
Interested in seeing the new line up actually, and the new seat add on.

I can only imagine what the deck belt would be like to route around all those pulleys and idlers.:dizzy:

I wonder just how long those wings will last before they start flopping from wear too. Interesting is right! I doubt I'll ever see one here, but then again, maybe so. The county complex here is freakin huge, and they do use SZ's on it along with several WAM's.

Mate, Ive never even sat on one let alone driven one so I dont know or wont argue one way or another but the way I see it, RD decks dont rely on vacuum or need to send a lot of clipping out a relatively small hole. Cut n drop like a bush hog. Sure, some gets "thrown" but but its not like it get dispursed across a few meters.
That said, the little diesel isnt loving it...
Likes this a little more...

Mate, Ive never even sat on one let alone driven one so I dont know or wont argue one way or another but the way I see it, RD decks dont rely on vacuum or need to send a lot of clipping out a relatively small hole. Cut n drop like a bush hog. Sure, some gets "thrown" but but its not like it get dispursed across a few meters.
That said, the little diesel isnt loving it...
Likes this a little more...
Too bad there's no way to get ones demeanor across on a forum. You just can't tell exactly how people mean things on a forum without being able to hear the inflection in their voice. I know you weren't advocating it one way or another, and I appreciate the link. Sorry if it came across any other way. Thumbs Up:drinkup:

Like I told realsloww(sp), the brochures I have say that because all the grass has to be passed back over the blades where it tends to wrap them and slow them down causing a power drain, the rear discharge decks need an additional 5 or so HP per deck size. I can't say for sure either since i haven't run one on my CUT....yet.:)

I wonder if the first guy has a mulch kit or something? It sure bogged a lot easier than the second one going by the sound.

Too bad there's no way to get ones demeanor across on a forum. You just can't tell exactly how people mean things on a forum without being able to hear the inflection in their voice. I know you weren't advocating it one way or another, and I appreciate the link. Sorry if it came across any other way. Thumbs Up:drinkup:

Like I told realsloww(sp), the brochures I have say that because all the grass has to be passed back over the blades where it tends to wrap them and slow them down causing a power drain, the rear discharge decks need an additional 5 or so HP per deck size. I can't say for sure either since i haven't run one on my CUT....yet.:)

I wonder if the first guy has a mulch kit or something? It sure bogged a lot easier than the second one going by the sound.
Nah mate, no problems here. Just shooting the breeze! haaa No work on today so bored sh!tless.

All I do know is that Ive seen one working, just around the corner actually and the finish was terrible. Just like or worse than in that vid. Was cutting longer grass though!

A few years ago,my wife and I were driving by a guy mowing on a larger CUT one size bigger than the one I had at the time, so we stopped to watch him work because I was thinking about getting the same exact mower he had (Woods RD90). He was literally using it to bush hog the field. It was standing field grass that was about 4' tall or more, and very thick. He was cutting it down alright with the CUT, and at a good rate of speed, but he was leaving a lot standing too. That mower has swinging blades like a bush hog even though it is designed as a finish mower. While the cut he was going for wasn't anything more than to knock the field down to around 6", he had to double cut the entire field to do it because there was just too much material for the deck to process in one pass. It was interesting to watch though. Looked just like he had used a MoCo to do it when he was done.

I'd think that as long as that Hustler has the cahones to run it, it would work just as well.

41 - 60 of 252 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.