Lawn Care Forum banner
61 - 80 of 252 Posts
Thanks for the link. I see it has a BTS of 15,800 and top speed of 11 mph. The speed makes sense if they don't want those wings decks getting beaten off on rough ground. That would be a good soccer field etc. mower I would think, but for the majority of users I still think the SZ is a better bet for day in, day out use.

I didn't read the entire PDF. Can you mow with only one wing down (or no wings down) like you can with other batwing mowers? I see each wing runs off a belt from the outer spindles, but don't see where it says anything about being able to disable one wing or both while still running the center deck.

That thing is friggin AWESOME!!!
However, 2350 lbs.
I had to upgrade my trailer once already this year when I got my Super Z.
I don't have a use for it but there probably are some out there.
I have to say, Hustler and Excell aren't afraid to experiment.
Good for you.:)

Both wings need to be down for mowing. With the compact size and maneuverability of the Super Z there is not a lot of need for being able to mow with one wing up or just the center deck. Each wing can float up and down 15degrees to handle uneven ground.

Both wings need to be down for mowing. With the compact size and maneuverability of the Super Z there is not a lot of need for being able to mow with one wing up or just the center deck. Each wing can float up and down 15degrees to handle uneven ground.
I believe this mower was brought into the Hustler lineup for a specialized market purpose, are you at will to say which market? I personally would think this mower best suited to smooth, large open manicured areas. I just can't see a city or county turning their employees loose with a mower of this caliber to cut road ditches and medians.

That thing is HEAVY, over 1000kg.
Specs say Grammer seat with isolator platform. Is it the new platform that can be used on the 2011/12 SZ's?
26" tires.
38hp Kohler option
Hydro deck lift. Is it the same lift system thats been around for a while?

How has the speed been limited. Does it have different wheel motors from the current SZ? HT? Larger drive tires mean faster speed or has it been limited to the slower speed through the linkages or something.
I mean, surely the current "hyperdrive" system is enough to move this machine along when it is currently only using a fraction of the potential output. I just dont understand whats happening here. Can someone explain?

I agree with Tharrell, at least Hustler is having a go. I have no need/want for this machine but I sure would like to demo one!

I believe this mower was brought into the Hustler lineup for a specialized market purpose, are you at will to say which market? I personally would think this mower best suited to smooth, large open manicured areas. I just can't see a city or county turning their employees loose with a mower of this caliber to cut road ditches and medians.
The 104 is designed to maintain A, B and C turf like you said. Roadside ditches we would consider D type turf which is better suited for a tractor. Example applications would be golf course roughs, parks, sport fields, rural properties or any large areas that are maintained on a regular basis.

Specs say Grammer seat with isolator platform. Is it the new platform that can be used on the 2011/12 SZ's?
26" tires.
38hp Kohler option

How has the speed been limited. Does it have different wheel motors from the current SZ? HT? Larger drive tires mean faster speed or has it been limited to the slower speed through the linkages or something.
I mean, surely the current "hyperdrive" system is enough to move this machine along when it is currently only using a fraction of the potential output. I just dont understand whats happening here. Can someone explain?

I agree with Tharrell, at least Hustler is having a go. I have no need/want for this machine but I sure would like to demo one!
The deck lift is new and is all hydraulic, not electric/hydraulic. We are using larger displacement wheel motors to give this unit more torque for handling the additional weight.

The deck lift is new and is all hydraulic, not electric/hydraulic. We are using larger displacement wheel motors to give this unit more torque for handling the additional weight.
The machine is a beast!
Not that it needs it but could the deck lift be fitted to the current SZ?

Love to see some more pics of the deck, the under seat workings etc....

So the wheel motors are similar to the concept of the ATZ, which you no longer make. Can you put those wheel motors on a current Super Z if you want more torque and how much will those wheel motors allow you to pull?

Thanks for any help and by the way nice mower but 28 if that is retail is to high for me and like Puppy posted a current 72 Super mowing wide open can give it a run for the money in productvity but may not cut as clean.

The 104 is designed to maintain A, B and C turf like you said. Roadside ditches we would consider D type turf which is better suited for a tractor. Example applications would be golf course roughs, parks, sport fields, rural properties or any large areas that are maintained on a regular basis.
Thanks Paul, that's the way I see this mower being utilized, glad you verified my thoughts.

26" tires.
38hp Kohler option

The 38 hp Kohler engine option sounds like you are really getting more power, but when you read this (J1995 Power 3 34.2) in the engine specs it tells the real story. J1940 allows the engine manufacturers to add up to 15% of actual hp and list it in that manner for advertising purposes as so-called gross hp. This means by showing a 38 hp rating they are staying well within the parameters of the J1940 classification by being only 10% above the true usable hp which is 34.2. To prove this I am listing below information Kohler includes in their specifications.

QUOTE:

"Kilowatt (kW) and gross torque (fl-lbs) specifications for Kohler general purpose engines are calculated pursuant to the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) J1940 - calculated with the air cleaner and muffler removed, per the SAE standard. Actual engine gross torque are lower and affected by, but not limited to, accessories (air cleaner, exhaust, charging, cooling, fuel pump, etc.), application, engine speed and ambient operating conditions (temperature, humidity and altitude)."

J1995 Power Certified by 3rd Party Witness

TJ1995 Power 3 34.2 / This is the usable hp of the Kohler CV980 38 hp engine

The Kawasaki engines are now power-rated to a tighter, automotive-caliber SAE J2723 standard, which they tell you will keep their listed hp within 2% of actual usable hp at all times.

Kawasaki has now listed their FX1000V (37 hp at the old rating) at 35 hp under the closer tolerance rating system, and what this means is...they are guaranteeing their 35 hp listing to be with 2% of actual hp...2% of 35 = .70 hp which equates to in a worst case scenario their listed 35 hp engine may in actuality have a true 34.3 hp, but guaranteed to be no less.

You now have the average person buying a mower with what he believes to be a Kohler 38 hp engine, when in reality it is a 34.2 hp engine. He bought the mower with this engine for the fact of believing he was getting 3 more hp over the 35 hp Kawasaki engine, when really the Kawasaki 35 hp engine had more usable hp than the Kohler 38 hp engine, not but 1/10 of a hp, which is non-detectable, but would still be greater.

Is a rear discharge more of a rough cut mower?

If so it wouldn't seem appropriate for sports fields or manicured lawns.
You've got a very good point here, but if grass is cut on a very strict schedule the rear discharge deck will do a good job.

My neighbor has a rear discharge Super Z and we meet when cutting the sides of the road that runs by each of our farms. His mower leaves a very respectable cut if the grass has not gotten too large, but when I mow up to where he's stopped and the grass had gotten somewhat larger than normal, I can see a windrow directly between where the tires had run. Sometimes to the point I just run back over his windrow at top speed and fan it out to make it look better.

You've got a very good point here, but if grass is cut on a very strict schedule the rear discharge deck will do a good job.

My neighbor has a rear discharge Super Z and we meet when cutting the sides of the road that runs by each of our farms. His mower leaves a very respectable cut if the grass has not gotten too large, but when I mow up to where he's stopped and the grass had gotten somewhat larger than normal, I can see a windrow directly between where the tires had run. Sometimes to the point I just run back over his windrow at top speed and fan it out to make it look better.
Good to know, thanks. I have zero experience with rear discharge.

I just want you to be more educated on your engine selections if you ever make enough money to trade...:laugh:
I have no interest in the newer Super Z,I could have one delivered tommarrow if I desired.

I would have to change the drive for what I want to do and it makes more sence to change and mod one of the mowers I currently have to make what I want.

I will be it the new mower is a nice mower but not what I want, the pulling capacity for it is only rated at 500 so you see the new 104 changed the drive because of it.

You have both old and new do me a favor look at the 66 and compare where the control linkages hook up on the pumps on both mowers.

What would work better for me would be to put 44 HP Generacs on both my 60 and 72 and update both drives as needed,update the 72 for speed and do the 60 for pulling and steep hills.

To me the new drive and a bigger motor is the only thing the new mower offers and for the type of work I do the rest is mute.

I have no interest in the newer Super Z,I could have one delivered tommarrow if I desired.

I would have to change the drive for what I want to do and it makes more sence to change and mod one of the mowers I currently have to make what I want.

I will be it the new mower is a nice mower but not what I want, the pulling capacity for it is only rated at 500 so you see the new 104 changed the drive because of it.

You have both old and new do me a favor look at the 66 and compare where the control linkages hook up on the pumps on both mowers.

What would work better for me would be to put 44 HP Generacs on both my 60 and 72 and update both drives as needed,update the 72 for speed and do the 60 for pulling and steep hills.

To me the new drive and a bigger motor is the only thing the new mower offers and for the type of work I do the rest is mute.
Oh boy, I know I'm going to look like the stern looking elderly school teacher with glasses and her hair up in a "bun" but I'm going to do this anyway....only because I've noticed it before.
Realslow, as I said, I don't mean to be condescending but I think you would want to know if you're using the word "mute" when it should be "moot".
But, don't feel bad, it's a common mistake.

(I'm not looking these 2 words up in the dictionary, just an "off of the top of my head" definition).

The word "moot" means "it's irrelevant"....as in "it doesn't matter anyway". The word "mute" means to "quieten down" as in "you mute your car stereo when you go thru a drive thru".

Sorry if I sound like a "know it all jerk", but if the tables were turned, I would want to know . I mentioned this once before but I don't think you got it.
Go ahead....call me an jerk! :) Stan

61 - 80 of 252 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.