Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my New Hustler SWB and thought these pics would answer many questions you guy’s have. For what it’s worth I mow with doubles on this machine, my stock 48 and my Super 54.
They all seem to cut as well as any other machines the guy’s are using here in New Jersey. The cut on all my machines are every bit as good as my friend’s two 52 inch lazer ZTR’s.
I’m not trying say the Hustler WB’s cut any better than the competition, but they don’t seem to cut worse. I will admit they do clump a bit more in heavy wet conditions, but they also seem to cut better than other machines in drier conditions.
One thing I realize is for “any machine”, it’s a poor test to compare the cut on a demo machine that probably has low rpm, improper deck leveling and unsharpened blades, to your personal machine that is setup just right with sharp blades.
The reason I say this is cutting side by side against other machines, my machines’ cut easily hold there own.
To continue, as Ultimate lawn states and I agree with, a 36” machine will and should clump less than a 48 or 54 machine because the grass has fewer chambers to pass through and less shear volume to exit the chute. Honestly, I’ll be the first to admit my 54 clumps more than my 48 because the 54 is trying to pump more grass out the same size chute opening. However, with Hustlers high chute air velocity, they are very good at dispersing drier clippings and with doubles can easily cut and leaf blow a lawn in one operation. Also, with doubles the Hustler WB’s easily clear the driveway or street of grass and debris clippings, with strength of a backpack blower.

Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Infrastructure Road surface

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I
Originally posted by Rick Jones
That looks like one SOLID piece of equipment! Will you be installing a Bull-Rider?
I already have it;) I wanted to leave the machine stock for the pics.

Naturally, my "Custom" SWB 54 has had the bullrider for two years.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
Them blades look like a single blade to me, or is my vision messed up:rolleyes: :confused: :D :eek: :p :) :sleeping:
Mikey, I left the machine stock for the pics. I cut the spindles and installed the doubles afterwards. You didn't really think I was starting to act like UL, now did you????:D :D

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by yardman1
That is a big ----- looking machine.
It's a nice package. It's meant for heavy work and operator ease. I just turned 500 hours on my 17/48 WB, and it's like new.
It's basically like an older stander, but with a velky attached. The big tires go a long way to eliminate rutting the lawn, and let you go over almost any size curbing.

·
Banned
1,773 Posts
Pete,
That's my mower... or at least I hope it will be in a few weeks. I've been talking to a dealer about getting a demo so I can actually get to mow with one of these before I buy it. They seem sort of reluctant to bring one out to demo unless I am really , really , really serious about buying it. well I am, money be damned.

Does the super WB come with the "cruise control"? or are you going to add your own? What do you do to the spindles to run doubles and what double combination do you use? and what size are the tires on your "custom" bullrider?

Great looking mowers Pete and thanks for all the great info you've given us on these in the past months.

·
Banned
656 Posts
Originally posted by [email protected]
With a deck thickness of over 5 ½”, Hustler WB’s don’t seem to have any blowout even with doubles.
Are you not trying to show us deck Depth? Hustler claims depth as 5" Not 5.5" which is equal to the eXmark TriVantage and .5" Less than the eXmark Ultra Cut.

Also this will have nothing to do w/blowout w/doubles unless their is a Blade Spacer or you have sheared the spindle to get the blades higher in the deck.

Has Hustler increased the BTS on this unit yet or are you going to do that yourself?

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by ULTIMATE LAWN
Are you not trying to show us deck Depth? Hustler claims depth as 5" Not 5.5" which is equal to the eXmark TriVantage and .5" Less than the eXmark Ultra Cut.

Also this will have nothing to do w/blowout w/doubles unless their is a Blade Spacer or you have sheared the spindle to get the blades higher in the deck.

Has Hustler increased the BTS on this unit yet or are you going to do that yourself?
The deck is actually another ¼” lower from mid deck on back, where air is taken in.
As far as “where” the blades (height wise) are in relation to the deck, do not, I repeat, do not effect blowout. I’ve run them high and low in many machines (hustler too) with no real effect on blowout. However, deck depth, or “displaced volume” does seem to make the difference (besides all the baffle stuff) regarding blowout. If you’ve done your own experimenting you should have found that out.

I’ve already increased the BTS on my other 48. Actually, I didn’t see a big difference. Honestly, with the great cut doubles already offer, I don’t see a reason to speed things up. Remember, the Hustlers are high speed and not high volume discharge machines. As long as the grass is not real wet, you’re already throwing it 20 feet. And, once the grass is rather wet, increased BTS doesn’t change things. Again, I assume you already know that.
Frankly from the deck design, and the fact that you want to mulch, I’d say the Hustler will work well for you.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.