Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'm going to get flamed with replys of disbelief but this is the truth. My dealer told me to try Hustlers new Fusion blades for my Super Z and I bought a new set on June 9th, 2005. Today, July 20, I sharpened them for the first time. And guess what? They really didn't need to be sharpened! By my estimate these blades have cut well over 350 lawns of 1/4 to 1/2 acre in size since June 9th. These things are unbelievable. I mow nothing but irrigated St Augustine turf so that explains some of the longevety. My dealer told me the other day that maybe he shouldn't sell them anymore for fear of loosing repeat blade business. Keep up the good work Hustler!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I cut fescue mostly and instead of 8 hours to sharpen blades I might be able to go 10 or 12. An improvement but not the answer to never sharpening. Must be nice to not sharpen for months. I sharpen every other day and they need it.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
contourbs said:
i was looking to get some of these, go cut 15 lawns of bahia and tell me if there still sharp
Actually, 2 of my lawns are Bahia. One's a 1/2 acre and the other is the backyard of a 1/4 acre. Let's see, 2 times 5 weeks equals 10. Plus the other 340 St Augustine lawns.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cutter LLC said:
An extra 2 min to sharpen for even an extra 2 hours of cutting I'll take that trade off
Yes, yoiu can tell the difference when sharpening but I think it's well worth the effort.

·
Registered
379 Posts
We had a man from Everride down here testing mowers in the late winter. He had a set before they came out. Had 100 hrs on a set couldn't believe how good they looked. He had two mowers one with fusion one with standard blades. The standard blades had been sharpened three times. They impressed me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
What exactly is the difference with "fusion" blades? Does the process go "right thru" the blade or is it only a certain depth so that after some number of sharpenings you are back to a regular blade?

My Dixon mower came with "fusion" blades (at least I think it did, there is a "fusion" decal on the machine and it is mentioned printed material that came with it).

Not having used any other blades on this machine, I cannot make any direct comparison but based on my experience with other machines (which used thinner swinging blades rather than rigid bars) I have not found the performance of the fusion blades to be dramatically better than I would have expected anyway.

dh500

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
I'm using the Fusion blades on my dixon. I honestly don't see that big a difference in how long I go between sharpenings. I still sharpen 3 to 4 times a week. They get dull, and I like a razor sharp edge. I figure that if I can't almost cut my finger on the edge, it needs sharpened. I NEVER leave a lawn looking white from dull blades.

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
Here's what the fusion blades REALLY are... no boron, sorry.

The maker for the blades also supplies Hustler, an I think aftermarkets are available for other makes as well.

"It's not ON the blade, It's IN the blade

The Fusion™ blade, another innovation in cutting from Dixon. The electrofusion process creates an ultra-hard layer of tungstencarbide on the blade's cutting edge, which means that the blade remains sharp and continues to give a clean cut 200% longer and blade lasts 100% longer than any blade you've ever used before. Along with increased hardness throughout the blade, this makes Fusion blades and Dixon the natural choice for professionals and homeowners who insist on extreme performance from their mower."

copied and pasted from Dixon's website^^^

·
Registered
242 Posts
I admit to not being very bright but, 'layer of tungstencarbide on the blade's cutting edge' sounds to me like it's ON the blade rather than IN it. However, it sounds like they mean it's on the bottom side of the blade so it is always there in the newly sharpened edge.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.