Hydrawise & Customers

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by ArTurf, Mar 28, 2019.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

For those of you who have installed this system and left it to the customer to program it were they able to easily understand it? Seems to me it would blow my customers minds

2. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Gold Member

We have a contractors account .

I set all the programming , and zone information up through our account and then send over full access rights to the customer . It makes it way easier . Hell you could take it home that night with a beer and program the controller lol

We also have about 50 preconfigured zone setting / schedules entered in if you don’t want to go the ‘smart’ watering method

The app isn’t very intuitive. Customers for sure would get confused on proper programming

3. OP
    OP
    ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Reason I ask is I'm doing an expansion of a system with a Pro-C I could convert the faceplate over to HW. I would like to add the flow meter which would notify me of leaks since I know the customer is not going to notice. This is a remote site, a deer camp. But I don't think the customer will grasp the HW programming. I have one HW system out there I did as a test the waters deal. I could see it wouldn't fly with customers

4. magna111

magna111 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

We program the clocks when installed, and bill for it. I’ve only had 20-30% of customers make any changes (programming or description) from what I set it as.

mitchgo likes this.
  5. bonitasprinklerservice

bonitasprinklerservice LawnSite Member

I program everything through my contractors account and then send full rights over to the customer. I agree that the app is not very intuitive and would be confusing to the customer to program correctly.

How has your experience with the flow meter been? I haven't installed any yet due to the cost being prohibitive.

mitchgo likes this.
  6. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

We've installed about 10 so far with only one customer that likes to mess with it way too much. We fully set it up when done installing. We've found clients can get a little confused with the programming part. Not a fan of the flow meter. Even with shielded wire we get false alerts during bad storms. Planning on using Wi-Fi flow meters this year instead. We love them for winterizing and even more when installed in a garage.

7. OP
    OP
    ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

1" HW meter is only $111, doesn't sound too bad to me?

8. OP
    OP
    ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

What Wifi flow meters are you speaking of?

magna111 likes this.
  9. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Gold Member

We have done 2 hydrawise flow meters test. One was a large waterdistricts building. What pissed me off , we didn't know the first year is if you don't upgrade the contractors service.. You loose all last years data, which is Bullisht and defeats the purpose! My techs and I first were all about Hydrawise, we have all pretty much transitioned to Rachio. When customers ask me about wifi controllers, I still explain both but state my preference has been Rachio.

Rachio 3rd gen has the accessory of a Wireless Flow Sensor.

I have installed 5. We are in test mode and offer the bare minimum as far as warranties because the product is so new. Also Rachio doesn't offer much of anything of incentives for contractors to sell their product.

The wireless flow sensor uses a radio signal over to the Rachio controller and then the controller is connected up via wifi. It can be about 300' away. The 5 that I have installed have been less then 150' away from the controller.

The real time water usage, learned flow rates and on demand alerts /notifications to your phone from emergencies is very handy.

10. OP
    OP
    ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Did Rachio ever improve their wire teminals or are they still dinky/difficult to work with