1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hydrawise Question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ArTurf, Aug 17, 2017.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Ark

I purchased a unit to try out when they 1st came out, installed it at a customers, it's the only one I have. Recently got an email saying I'll have to pay a $60 fee for access. It's been awhile but I thought below a certain # it required no fee. Looked at Hunter site briefly but didn't find answer and need to get back to work. Anyone know the answers?

2. zr100

zr100 LawnSite Member

5 free with contractor starter package. No cost first 5

3. HunterTekGeek

HunterTekGeek Sponsor

The "Enthusiast Plan" is $60/year. This enables you to do more.....stuff. But Hydrawise customers do not need this plan in order for their controller to function perfectly. They will. This just adds more weather station selection, hourly updates, text alerts, 5 users, 365-day reporting, etc. The "Enthusiast Plan" uses more data in the Cloud, talking to you, the controller, and our weather provider. A lot more. To the point where we really can't provide that for free. In my humble opinion it is very fairly priced.

Look here to get more info: https://www.hydrawise.com/hydrawise-cloud-software-pricing-and-plans

To your initial question, you bought a Plan and it is trying to Auto-Renew through PayPal. Contact them to cancel the renewal, please. If you need more help, please contact us at 1-800-733-2823. Then press 8, for Hydrawise.

zr100 mentioned the Contractor Starter Plan and he is correct. However, there are no Enthusiast Plans associated with that option unless you purchase and add them.

Hope this helps.

4. zr100

zr100 LawnSite Member

Fwiw - it really bugs me that I have to pay for access to my customers controllers that I purchase from Hunter. I think its very short sighted on their part. If they want me to continue to plug their product, that needs to change. I'm at 6 now and 2 more in the next two weeks. Maybe its time to try the rainbird offering.

Their technical support was down today and still is. I just called and received a quick message to leave name and number. No other info. Grrr.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    TPendagast and jbell36 like this.
  5. HunterTekGeek

HunterTekGeek Sponsor

Hunter Technical Support was down today from 12:30 to 12:55 PM. We had to reboot a major server which knocked out our phones. We are here until 4:00 PM Pacific, daily. I apologize that we weren't able to serve you. Can you please try us again on Friday?

Regarding the comment on paying for access, I really try to stay out of sales-related issues here. That said, I strongly suggest you contact your local Hunter Rep and have a good discussion. We have all of your data backed up on multiple Amazon AWS servers across the planet. Plus we use Weather Underground (now owned by IBM). And doggone if those guys don't want to be paid for providing those services and bandwidth. Hence the charges.

6. zr100

zr100 LawnSite Member

It may have been still down. As mentioned above, I did call back 20 minutes before closing and pressed 8. Very quickly I received a message to leave name and number, this was outside of the normal routine that occurs when calling.

7. zr100

zr100 LawnSite Member

It may have been still down. As mentioned above, I did call back 20 minutes before closing and pressed 8. Very quickly I received a message to leave name and number, this was outside of the normal routine that occurs when calling.

Thanks for the nudge to discuss with Local Rep. I will do that.

8. HunterTekGeek

HunterTekGeek Sponsor

Thanks for the heads-up on the Hydrawise line being down. So sorry. I'll get on it.

9. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

Here's how it was described to me in a dumbed down version. Hunter is cloud based, where as RainBird is app based. That's the biggest difference. I also believe that RainBird is reliant on the homeowners wifi whereas Hunter's runs off of their own network. I've heard about reliability issues with both.

Hunter offers two plans basically, a very professional option which allows you to do EVERYTHING, flow monitoring, weather station, text alerts, so on and so forth... I'm not sure if they have a more basic option or not and I do not know the pricing

RainBirds plan is for basics such as simply turning the controller on and off, switching zones, just simple stuff. They might offer a plan that gets more technical than that but I'm not sure. From my understanding RainBirds app is free along with the "plan."

For what we do, we would prob never need anything more than being able to turn zones on and off for system checks, repairs, or blowouts, or to simply be able to turn a customers controller off from a remote location for whatever reason such as rain, etc. For this reason it sounds like RainBirds option is a little more to my liking, I don't think they have a limit on how many controllers u can put on it for basic functionality.

I do want to say that I'm still trying to figure it all out so everything I just said may not all be facts, so take it for what it's worth, and anyone please feel free to correct anything that I have mentioned.

I know I've said this before, but I'm not thrilled with the wifi/app based controllers thus far. I will only install one if requested, I do not mention at the time of the install or replacement. We rely heavily on the Hunter remotes as most of our controllers are pro-c's or ICC's, it's too simple for us to walk up and stick our remote on the remote port and off we go. Works every time, don't have network problems to worry about.

zr100 and 1idejim like this.
  10. HunterTekGeek

HunterTekGeek Sponsor

Speaking for Hunter, we run off a 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi signal. Home router. Office router. Some customers even use a mobile GPRS-type device to create a local hot-spot. But we don't have a proprietary "network". It is all based on the local Wi-Fi signal.

We also use a free app that you can run on iPhone or Android. Plus you can log in from any PC that has Internet and a browser.

More Techie questions? https://support.hydrawise.com/hc/en-us

Thanks jbell36!

jbell36 likes this.