Hydro Fluid Change Early? JD 920M

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Michael Ray, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Michael Ray

Michael Ray LawnSite Senior Member

So I picked up a lower hour mower from a guy recently and ran it last season. It still only has 155 hrs on it. The manual says to wait until 300 hrs to change the hydro fluid/filters. Do I wait or go for it due to the age of the mower (3 years or so)?

2. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Fanatic

I would change it now.

3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I would wait only if you knew the guy and how the machine was used and stored etc, because the age (as far as years go IME with Hy-Gard in lots of machines now) doesn't really matter if taken care of, but if you don't know anything about its history, change it and be on the safe side. It is a bit spendy to make the change, but you won't have to do it for another 500 after this. My manual calls for standard Hy-gard instead of the low vis variety, so that is what I use. It is the only JD I have ever owned that calls for std Hy-Gard.

Harley08 likes this.
  4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i would wait until 300hrs.

5. K c m

K c m LawnSite Bronze Member

Definitely change it! I read that in the manual also. My first quiktrak said change at 10 hours. I did and it ran amazing until I just turned it in for a 2019. The new manual said change at 300 hours (scratching my head). I changed it yesterday with 7 hours on it. Not taking any chances.

Doc8406 likes this.
  6. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Fanatic

Kcm, he's talking about hydro fluid, not eng oil.
    But even so. I would change it, then your good to go for 500 more hrs, as someone else already said.

Doc8406 and K c m like this.
  7. K c m

K c m LawnSite Bronze Member

I hear ya jimmy. I meant soup to nuts. Oil and hydros

Mow-Daddy.com likes this.